Is the Trans-Pac ok for recreational diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a transpac but an oceanic chute 3 which is a wing type bcd.

I've really liked it for a long time and it's true that especially with heavy coldwater gear it can have a stabilizing effect.

However this stabilizing is starting to annoy me a bit when it comes to tropical diving. I like to be able to dive in different positions and the wing tends to force me into an either horizontal or vertical position depending on how much air I put into it.

Theres lots of things you can do fooling around with weight placement but in my experience solving an issue of too much air in a specific place by piling lead on top just causes other problems.

I find that my buoyancy is near perfect when it's empty and I keep it so down to around 25 m anyway.

But I'm considering trying out some traditional bcds to see if they allow more freedom of movement when diving light.

My first BC was a Transpac II with Rec Wing. Works great for singles. Now it has a travel wing on it and it's my pool BC.
All of my open water diving is in a BP and wing. :D

I would love for the instructor to read these threads. I'll definitely shop for one at another dive shop.

curiousgeorgie:
When I asked about one at the dive shop, a scuba instructor advised me against one for recreational diving. She stated that those "modular" type BC's are only good for tec diving with doubles and when I challenged her opinions, she stated that a single tank would not be stable with a Trans-Pac. Is this true?

Do that shop (and its future customers) a favor. Refer them to ScubaBoard. Try to be nice about it, so that they actually might come here, and learn fun stuff about the TransPac.

Get one or find a shop that will let you test dive one.
Dive it to find out for yourself. (include the crotch strap)
Diving one is like donning a dinner jacket, It's just a perfect fit.
Pockets are available seperately,which is a good thing. (custom/streamlining)
I'm thinking of getting a second one for sidemounting doubles only,
so that I don't have to change it from single back mounted.
Of course if I were to dive back mounted doubles,without question would
use a Backplate Harness/Wing combo.
Also befor making purchase,take a look at Oxychek's Mach-V wing.
Very compact streamlined,and perfect for singles use.(My next wing)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom