Is the vis at most/ all regional dive sites toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were several students in the water doing their first dive without an instructor, by the end of the day, vis in the shallows was wiped out.

I hope those weren't your students Tammy! :wink:

Nope Tammy wasn't there. She's innocent this time.

Whaddya mean by that?!?:confused: :mooner: I'm always innocent! :angel::D

By the way, our shop has the students do a total of 5 dives for the weekend. 4 dives (doing skills & tours) are required by standards. The 5th dive, which is optional, may be done by indirect supervision of the instructor (we're out on the shore observing & with gear at the ready, if needed). We have the students plan & execute their own dive (with a few simple rules). It gives the students a chance to be independent of the instructor.

Looks like Pennyroyal is starting to clear up a little. In the shallows, where not stirred up by divers, the vis is 15- 20 ft. In the deep it is starting to approach the 30 ft range of vis. Dennis said he is going to add some chemicals soon to kills the algae bloom & clear things up more.

WOHO!! Now to get some diving in!! The thumb is feeling pretty good.

WOHO!! Now to get some diving in!! The thumb is feeling pretty good.

I got in 4 dives yesterday. I think Tammy did 5. You should have been there. :D

As for the topic of this thread: vis was 10'-12' shallow and 15'-20 deep.'

Got 4 dives in at Pennyroyal this past weekend. Vis was a maximum 5' - 8' shallow and 12'-16' deep. On two of the dives in the shallow section, it was almost braille diving, kind of like practicing guideline rescue in a silt-out. We followed a line right up to both the school bus and the fiberglass yacht, literally running into them as we couldn't see crap. The other dives, when we dropped below the thermocline and dove along the wall had improved vis.

I did 2 dives there Friday night and 2 more on Saturday. They had added a chemical to the water to make sediment settle faster. The vis was incredible down to 17' probably 30'-40'. At that point, there is an area of bad vis down to the thermocline. Below that, it was as good as it usually is. I assume that the sediment will continue to settle until the shallows will be clear all the way to the bottom at 25' or so.

One of the instructors from Aquatech reported that on Sun. that the vis in the shallows was approching 30- 40ft, with some patchy lower vis here & there (mostly where OW students had stirred it up). Maybe soon, I can get the chance to get on my scooter again & be able to cruise around without having to worry about running into something before I can see it (& that was at slow speed).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom