Is there a SCUBA CHECKLIST?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wet suit on, strap yourself in, mask on, reg in mouth, walk (it was real easy) to the back of the boat and jump in, what's so hard about that, other than the landing when you surface and the DM throws your fins to you. It's hard to remember everything every time. I've jumped in without the mask, without the mask again but with my sunglasses on and my hat, no reg in the mouth, no weights. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. I'm glad someone is always looking after me or at least semi-understanding, or just likes a good laugh.

I just finished my OW course and i didn't much like padi's BWRAF checklist so i made my own. I just start checking my buddy from the top of their head down, checking everything that can possibly be checked. Then my buddy reviews me and I check myself as much as possible.

I learned the importance of checklists (both mental or written) from learning to fly planes and race motorcycles. They all start as written checklists but then become mentally ingrained and natural to do after a while where it even feels bad not to do one.

Someone told me once the hardest part of diving is making sure all your gear makes it to the dive site. Keeping that in mind, I made a checklist and laminated it and keep it in my dive log with a couple dry erase markers. I made it with "pre-travel", "pre-dive" and "post dive" columns. The dry erase markers are different colors so I can complete the check for each family member diving (my lovely bride and both teenage kids dive too). It's pretty basic: c-card, log, tables, mask, snorkel, fins, boots, exposure protection, reg, SPG, computer, compass, BCD, weight belt, lights, knives, camera, batteries, save-a-dive kit, flag.

So far, I've never had to thumb a dive because a piece of gear didn't make it to the dive site.

The BWRAF is more about making sure you're squared away before getting in the water, IMHO. While you might not like it that much, like your flight checks, it makes sure your necessary components are ready.

Back
Top Bottom