Is there anything to see diving off Bellows?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be at a family camp this weekend at Bellows beach, and having not been diving since moving to Oahu :S I am determined to get some bottom time in while at the beach, even if all I see is sand :) But if someone knows of a reef or rock or anything (old rubber tire?) off the military portion of the beach I'd love to hear about it :)

Aloha, Tim

head south a couple of miles to Makapu'u point (lighthouse). There is a nice beach there for the family, diving is pretty good along the South end of the cove, below the cliff the lighthouse is on. Not great, but good, and some lobsters in the wall. Day break and sunset are good as the eels come out in force. Stay inside the edge of the wall though, the Molokai express is pretty strong outside the point.

Also Haunama isn't too far from there, but you have to get a ways out near the mouth to be any good. either wall is reasonable, however if you are up for the long swim, the North side is a little more protected, get just inside the cove and work your way back in, its a long swim, but its about as good as it gets on the windward side. Leeward and North Shore is much better, but north shore has reasonably big wave this time of year.

I can't say I ever tried to dive off Bellows, used to Kite Surf off there, but no diving.

I'll be at a family camp this weekend at Bellows beach, and having not been diving since moving to Oahu :S I am determined to get some bottom time in while at the beach, even if all I see is sand :) But if someone knows of a reef or rock or anything (old rubber tire?) off the military portion of the beach I'd love to hear about it :)

Aloha, Tim

Better golf and body surfing there. Hanauma Bay for tame snorkeling. meesier42 seems to have some insight though. Probably not a good time for Halona Cove between Sandy Beach and Koko Head.

so bring the scooters eh?

I don't have a choice on the location - about 60-70 people at this camp (for the families at my parents church) all on the beach there for 4 days - if I only see sand I guess that's all I'll see then :wink:

Thanks,
Tim

well they have pulled a few old dummy torpedoes out of the dump there on that base so it may be some good finds. on that note back in NC we would "hide" larger pices of gear in the small ponds on base so you may get some good finds on the inland waters on post. good luck

I am currently in florida, tom should have the coordinates too. Good luck getting to it from shore though, you'll have to contend with half a mile worth of rocks and reefs.....

I dove Bellows when I was taking my rescue diver. We used the low vis and surf to learn how to navigate, and the sandy beach to extract "injured" divers on. We could see about 3 feet in front of us and at times, couldn't even see that. There is a dock under there and I'm sure some interesting creatures are hiding in the sand, but I would never choose that spot over Lanai Lookout, Hanauma Bay, or Port lock. If I was stuck there for an afternoon, I might take a snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom