Is there cave diving on the West Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hall City

Devils Den

Black Chasm

I suspect California Caverns but not certain.

Allegedly some in Kings Canyon / Sequoia NP

And at least one more well known one :wink:

Edit: there’s a cave called “Vanishing River” in Santa Cruz but good luck getting access. I don’t actually know if there’s diving there but the name is promising and there is extensive mapped passage.
I suspect that none of the caves on your list have public diver access 😥

There are some sea caves on the outside of Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands down in the California Channel Islands. I don’t know if that counts? but they are pretty long and fully submerged but not too deep. Lot’s of lobsters in them I’ve heard.

Hall City is open as far as I know. It does require some work to get to.

Been awhile since I saw that video. That actually looks granitic to me not sedimentary/limestone. I have to say their definition of "heavy sediment" is different than mine lol.

I suspect that none of the caves on your list have public diver access 😥
To get information and access to cave dive anywhere west coast (or really anywhere in north america outside of the tourist spots in FL or MX) you need to invest in developing relationships with land managers, your local grotto(s), and dry cavers.

Been awhile since I saw that video. That actually looks granitic to me not sedimentary/limestone. I have to say their definition of "heavy sediment" is different than mine lol.

I am by no means an expert on rocks nor have I been to Hall City (yet) but I do know there are many Karst areas up that way. One of Californias biggest and deepest caves, Bigfoot, is relatively close by.

To get information and access to cave dive anywhere west coast (or really anywhere in north america outside of the tourist spots in FL or MX) you need to invest in developing relationships with land managers, your local grotto(s), and dry cavers.

There's another option, spend a bunch of time studying and then get out and do some ridge walking, just watch out for the growers. We learned that one the hard way . Took us about 7 years and a dozen trips to find Crystal Palace. Probably could have started my own grotto in that time but where's the fun in that? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom