Is this a good deal? Sherwood Blizzard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShawanoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This set is for sale nearby and I'm considering getting it as a gift for someone that frequently dives with me and doesn't own all of his own gear yet. Second stage is an older Sherwood blizzard, Octo is also looks sh
15542442_1319191254792532_8498481777296492247_n.jpg
erwood, and I'm assuming the 1st stage is sherwood also..

Does the $135 asking price seem fair?
Plus the additional cost of having the regs serviced (assuming they need to be)?

Can you price out servicing and add it to the cost? That would be the real price compared to new, and it looks like a lot of stuff.
This how I am to gear up next summer, (excepting computers the more quickly changing technology), so i am hoping this works out for you.

I guess that depends which local DS I would take it to. The ones i frequent sometimes give me good deals with random free air fills and rentals (who doesn't??).. Although I've never had them service any of my stuff and they don't quote prices on their websites.
One nearby shop says $25 on their website for non warranty regs.
Or I could just... maybe...

Generally they look old. Does the SPG return to zero, hard to see in the photo.

Your $25 for servicing would be labour for one stage you will have kits, any other parts and any extra labour if they are problematic to service.

I don't think I would buy for $135 unless I was going to service them.

It's a basic level Sherwood set, has 'adequate' performance. If it's in very good condition, $ 135 + a full service (annual) for, let's say, $ 125 = $ 260 total 'real; price. Assuming you don't find any 'issues' (like having to replace any hoses or other parts) that would be a decent investment.

Both 1st and 2nds are Sherwood
I dive an older version of this model
Service kits are easily had and they are fairly simple to work on.
I drive hard so I'd see if you can pu for $80-90 being that you will need to service them
Even if a new to me reg checks out fine, I will service it then start my own service history from there

if I was servicing it maybe, you're looking at at least $150 for service minus any potential hoses that need to be replaced and/or the gauge that has to be replaced. Much better deals elsewhere that are less risky and would be better performing regs for you. If you can get it in the $75 range, that's a new discussion, but at $135 it's anything but "a good deal"

If it works and you have no leaks and the intermediate pressure is good and the hoses and second stage components all look good and you are comfortable diving a reg like that, then it is a fair deal. They are very reliable especially that first stage.

If it works and you have no leaks and the intermediate pressure is good and the hoses and second stage components all look good and you are comfortable diving a reg like that, then it is a fair deal. They are very reliable especially that first stage.
Except that it is a gift for another. No way I would buy used regs as a gift and not at least get it checked. And some dive shops will do a check then service if needed.

But either way I would not give an unserviced used regulator as a gift, especially when I don't know its history.

Thanks for all of your input, guess I'm going to pass on it then.. But I'm still looking for a 1st and 2nd stage and gauges if anyone has some they're willing to sell.
Maybe I'll find some bargains in the scubaboard classifieds :acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom