Is this a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

movieflick

Reaction score
I found what I THINK is a good deal on a galileo sol. It is 2 years old and has 45 dives on it. He sent pics and the only "damage" is a scratch on the screen protector which is a replaceable part from what I understand. The unit comes with the transmitter, heart monitor and all the other stuff that comes with it originally. The price is $800. Is this a good deal?

There is a slight problem of buying a Uwatec Computer used and that is warranty which you have to be the original owner/bought it from a dive shop (not online). I am pretty sure that you have to send it in to change the batteries (just a guess) which would cost around 200$ because you are not the original owner. The seller should be able to tell you what the battery life is.

Also the screen could be expensive or it could be cheap (which may depend again on the warranty).

The next thing to think about is the Galileo Sol really the computer that you want. If it is than 800$ is not so bad of a deal (as it costs about 1300-1500). What is it that makes the Galileo Sol so special to you?

What is it that you want the computer to do? do you want it to track your NDL? Are you going to use it to plan your dives? or do you just want to hop in the water, get out and hop back in as soon as your computer says that you are safe.

Computers are odd to me, I dive with a bottom timer from the few computers that I have tried out, they all pretty much do the same thing (even the less expensive computers have enriched air settings) and a lot of computers do integrated air via transmitters.

Maybe you just want a bottom timer, that tracks your dive profile.

I am sorry if I made this more confusing than you wanted, seeing as I only asked questions and answered none... these are just things to think about. Perhaps if you elaborated on what you wanted to do with it, I could help more.

Will

The batteries are user changeable and no there is no warranty with this device since I am not the original owner. I like the size of the the SOL and Luna as well as all the features. I was actually going to get the Luna then I came by this and thought it was too good to pass up but I need a little reassurance to make myself feel better about dropping the coin :wink:

I am not asking if I should get a computer as I know I do since this will be my second one but more does this seem to be a reasonable price for what I am getting.

I got my Luna from Lp for 1100. If I were in your shoes I would go with a new unit for that much money. I have had warranty work done too no problem ( transmitter wouldn't pair) and all the shop asked for was postage.

Last edited:
Just check it's functions, look at the status of the battery (Sol will indicate both if the transmitter battery is low as well as permanently the status of the Sol battery.) If the Sol battery indicator shows just TWO bars or less, it MUST be replaced, THREE bars means replacement imminent within a less than 20 dives. Both are, as said above, easily replaced by yourself, they cost together around $25,- including the O-rings.

Screensaver (plastic cover) will cost you around $15,-
So try to get another $ 50,- to $100,- down on the price, as it is also two years old. (If not, it still seems a fair deal.)
By the way, does it have the newer software (1.5) installed? No problem if not, that's done through Smarttrak easily as well. ( If you wait another month, Trimix should finally become available, probably with an upgrade as well.) You can verify the claim of 45 dives by scroling through the log on the SOL or download them to a computer over IR through the gratis program Smarttrak. There are probably more "dives" on it, as each factory test shows up as "dive" as well; they are mostly test runs, not longer than 5-10 minutes or even shorter.
Anyway, SOL is IMHO a great computer with a lot of nice features, including the compass, which does not need to be held strictly horizontal in order to function! (no, I don't get paid for this).:D
(I got mine for 500 euros with transmitter, but had to buy a new heart belt for 25 euro. In Europe they go for between $750-850)
Hope this helps a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom