Is this a Snapping Shrimp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T.C.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is this a species of Snapping Shrimp? I ask because my Reef Creatures book says the claws are uneven, and these appear symmetrical. I saw several of these and many of their holes in Key Largo last week. The holes appeared to be bored straight into the sand, like it was a drilled shaft or something. I mostly observed them in ~30 feet of water.
PICT0191.jpg

Mantis shrimp??

Check out the Mantis Shrimp in your reef creatures book. I can not remember the exact variation.

In some locations they construct a perfect round round hole in the hard pack. They then use this to hunt from. You can often see them perched at the top of the hole with rubble on top of them. Generally the only give away is their 2 oblong eyes sticking out of the rubble.

Sometimes it is very easy to spot as the rubble around their hole is a different color.

Thanks Sue, those look exactly like what I saw.
It's not a Mantis Shrimp, they don't have 'pinching' claws like these do. Mantis shrimp was my first thought till I seen the claws.

I stick with my Mantis Shrimp id. if you have "seen the claws" then I claim you have been lucky enough to see this nasty little critter ready to strike. I have a bunch of (very badly white balanced) shots from our recent trip to Belize that I claim are Mantis Shrimp.

But I could be wrong, would not be the first time today...

IMG_7779.jpgIMG_7809.jpgIMG_7810.jpgIMG_7811.jpgM0030438.jpg

I base my id on the very distinctive oblong "dual" eyes of this creature. The Reef Creature book refers to them as "thumb splitters" so I assume they do have a very dangerous claw of some sort. I have never seen it. My pics above depict the typical pose I have seen.

I still stay away.

Back
Top Bottom