Is this sidemount course over the top?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My SDI rec SM course in 2015 cost $300 and took three days: 1/2 day dry-land setup, 1/2 day pool work, 2 days lake diving.

I learned enough during that course and over the next few years practicing SM diving to successfully mentor my dive buddy; he was able to skip the rec course entirely and take the TDI SM course.

He's got an issue with xdeep. Has for years. I agree with some of his points, some I don't. But yeah, its hard to add have discussions here lately.
The unfortunate part is for the OP - who isn't asking about quality of gear, who's idea for the design was first, construction of the gear, or how much is might cost a manufacturer to buy the materials to build it. I said positive thinks about a dive shop and a piece of gear that I own and enjoy in a cave environment. IMO his comments were off topic.

Hi and many thanks for the interesting and lively read. It's great to get your opinions, which pretty much confirm the course is over the top in terms of duration. The only explanation I received from the DC was 'we do it properly'. I won't go into details, but i noticed a few things that were not 'done properly' in my short time in the shop, so i'll take that with a pinch of salt.

Also, I'm in Indonesia where courses/instructor time is cheaper than many other countries, and i've found that other dive centres in Bali charge a lot less for their SM courses.

I also spoke to a SM instructor in a different part of Bali who we've dived with previously. He said that as we are both very proficient in the water he also does not see why we would need five days. He's offered a shorter course :)

Thanks again everyone. Very best, Peter

He's got an issue with xdeep. Has for years. I agree with some of his points, some I don't. But yeah, its hard to add have discussions here lately.
haven't you noticed theres a common denominator with threads that break down

I self taught side mount and was proficient enough to get through OC full TRIMIX and full cave stage with one of the "expensive" instructors mentioned up thread. It is possible, but from what I've seen most OW side mount divers should have spent more on the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom