Is weeki wachee spring open

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The state took that park over and they stopped allowing scuba a year or two ago. AFAIK there are no plans to re-open it.

The state took that park over and they stopped allowing scuba a year or two ago. AFAIK there are no plans to re-open it.
Yes, the park woman on the phone today was very dismissive of my apparently preposterous query. I was just asking.

Yes, the park woman on the phone today was very dismissive of my apparently preposterous query.
It's a real shame. It was a fun site, especially if you've got non-diving family that would like to see you dive for real or you just need a nice training dive. It's nothing like an ocean reef but there's plenty of life there. I even saw a manatee while I was diving there once.

I wish there was an effective way to complain to the state about the situation.

I..... It was a fun site....
Agree,,A whole bunch of us dove it back in the late 90's when it was open. At the time I thought it was really expensive{~$125?}, but now I look back on the dive and very glad I did it once. It's a part of history like many other dive sites around the USA and if you get the chance to dive them, jump at it !! Might be restricted someday. We used to scuba with 300 manatee's in Blue Springs near Deland in January late 90's. Now? Poof,,gone,,no access. If a buddy says 'Lets go dive this great spot'>>>do it now !!

I did my open water checkout dives at Weeki Wachee in 2011. It wasn't open to the general diving public, but at least at that time some shops could get access for training dives. May no longer be the case, but it was in 2011. Glad I got a chance to dive it -- it was fun.

I think the title of that news story is incorrect. Those photos and news story are from yesterday's fatality at Eagles Nest.

Weeki Wachee Spring (where the mermaid shows are) ≠ Eagles Nest; different places (close to each other).

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom