Is Whites Treating Me Right... Or Not???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Separate warranties for components in a manufactured product aren't entirely uncommon. Auto companies routinely pass the buck for things like tires from themselves to the tire manufacturer. That said, you should expect some support from the manufacturer when dealing with the sub-component supplier in a warranty dispute. White's should be standing behind the entire product. They didn't offer a choice of zipper suppliers when you bought the suit, did they?

Zipper failure after 4 months! They need to stand up and replace that. Their solution of splitting the cost is BS. It would have been better for them to tell you that they would replace the zipper at their cost of materials. That's in affect what they are proposing. It's kind of shady for them to try and make it seems as though you are sharing the repair cost with them don't you think?

And shouldn't your local dive shop be taking care of this for you after all? That's what they say they'll do and why you shouldn't buy online at a lower price....

Sounds like customer service is not a priority at Whites or your LDS. They're passing the buck.

My opinion in response to the facts as stated... :)

I'm calling someone at Whites higher up right now. Will post back soon...

Update: getting voicemail. Will try o few more times, then leave message.

scubamate:
Rick,

I PM'd you a contact. Don't know if he can help but worth a shot.

Thanks, i got it.
Someone else PM'd me the VP's extension, Paul-Andre, and I just got off the phone with him.
Very nice man. I stated my case, he stated his (I'll elaborate later). He said he'll check out the suit and get back to me tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted.

His point is that they don't make the zippers, but they pre-test them before shipping to make sure there is no manufacturer's defect - which is what they warranty. Since they don't make the part, they don't warranty the part.
I said, I don't expect to have to contact all the manufacturer's of all the parts of something I buy to see what they each cover.
Well, we'll see. He seemed like a very reasonable man.

Yeah, keep us posted. Being an instructor, I for one won't recommend them if you are not satisfied. I'm starting to get a little nervous because I bought a new White's Catalyst and only have 2 dive outings on it. My newer Viking had over 1200 before it started leaking.

Rick Inman:
, Paul-Andre, and I just got off the phone with him.

Please also let me know what he says. I just met him at the Expo in NJ this past Sat and he measured me for my Catalyst custom suit which my LDS is waiting to order when he calls them back. I may have to reconsider if they do not take care of the problem. Waiting to see what happens.....................

Rick Inman:
I said, I don't expect to have to contact all the manufacturer's of all the parts of something I buy to see what they each cover.

I agree, I think that is a total cop out. I exect the manufacturer to warranty the item, and if there is a problem with one of their suppliers items then they are the ones who should deal with them.

Can you imagine if you bought a comptuer and had to figure out where each part came from and contact that manufacturer directly? Hmm, looks like resistor 7A is damaged, I guess I need to contact Singapore...

They should not pass the buck.

As someone who owns their own business I can tell you with 100% confidence that whatever I sell you I will warranty. Whites and your LDS is passing the buck. Before you get too upset with Whites,remember where you bought your suit. All of these calls should be made by your LDS. They should be paying to get the zipper fixed, then they can argue with the manufacturer of any product they want. If your local dive center is in good standing with Whites there should not be a problem. I have had suppliers replace parts that were damaged due to their part exploding and causing the problem.
This is all due to good business practice.
Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom