Isla Guadalupe closed through August.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdC

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just found out the marine reserve around Guadalupe has not opened, it will remain closed through August. I am booked for Sept. crossing my fingers.

Anyone know the issue, Nautilus website doesn't have much for an explanation.

I think you mean Isla Guadalupe, not Guadeloupe.

If this is Mexico, there reportedly is an issue with a "corrupt" official and legal action has been filed in court to reopen the reserve.

I had e-mail contact with Nautilus yesterday (7/31) and there's legal action being taken. They're hoping for a September 1 reopening. But if you have a trip booked with any of the operators - this affects everyone, not just Nautilus - check with your operator to see what's what. Some of them have moved boats to other parts of Mexico so may not be able to respond quickly to a reopening since they'll have to get their vessels back to Ensenada (assuming that's where they leave from).

I had e-mail contact with Nautilus yesterday (7/31) and there's legal action being taken. They're hoping for a September 1 reopening. But if you have a trip booked with any of the operators - this affects everyone, not just Nautilus - check with your operator to see what's what. Some of them have moved boats to other parts of Mexico so may not be able to respond quickly to a reopening since they'll have to get their vessels back to Ensenada (assuming that's where they leave from).

Thanks Ken - have a scheduled Sept. trip with them, bumped from 2 years ago due to COVID. Good chance it won't happen but I'm flexible.

I think you mean Isla Guadalupe, not Guadeloupe.
Looks like that error in the thread title has been fixed since I last visited this thread. Carry on. :)

Any updates? I inquired with the owners of the Solmar V and this was their response:

"Thank you for your interest in our trips to Guadalupe Islands. Unfortunately, we are not running this season as the Government has closed the protected area of Guadalupe Island."

I don't know if they (Pacific Fleet/Solmar V) made the decision to cancel rather than wait or if all boats are canceling their trips now.

Looks like this year is not going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom