Isla Marisol Resort - Glovers Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cymro99

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm mid-50s, long-time freediver and diver who has for the past few years got back into diving (after persuading the kids to finally leave the house!)

I've been to Belize diving before, a few years ago to Hamanasi down in Hopkins and liked the reef. On that trip, a visit out to Glovers Reef had me hooked for a return trip and I just needed to pick a resort. Isla Marisol came up and although views were positive, it wasn't an obvious choice. I originally thought this was more of a 'budget' resort and so (at a point in life when I want 'comfort') I ruled it out. Now that we've arrived, that would have been a mistake - this place is glorious and well maintained.

I thought it might be helpful to give a first-hand account and see if I could respond to questions while I am here.
As a point of reference, we dove in March in St Lucia at Anse Chastenet, The Tobago Cays on the same trip, Greneda. Last year we dove Roatan from Xbakanque resort and before that dove Sodwana Bay in South Africa. So we've been to some solid dive locations.

We met Eddie Usher, the owner as he drove the bus to pick us up and also captained the boat out. Eddie is proud of the island and his efforts to keep it 'natural'. The island has been in his family since the 1940s and Eddie is slowly rebuilding and upgrading the facilitates. I'd say he's struck a nice balance, not too manuicured (not a Disney park) but also clean and well maintained.

Here's a few pictures from our arrival.

As you can tell, pretty clean. There's a new cellphone tower installed and so for those of you that work, these are the download speeds I got using my T-Mobile plan. They also have free wifi in the dining room.

I came loaded up with Bug spray and also baby oil with picardin for 'sand fleas' which I heard were a nightmare on all these coral attols. They chuckled when I mentioned this and said I won't need them. I was a scaptic as I am a veritable blood sausage for mosquitos. However, no bites yesterday evening and none last night, even with the windows wide open. There is AC but we didn't need to use it.

Last nights meal was great and we collapsed early. I will update again shortly and include some reports of the (17) dives we have planned.

Attachments

• IMG_4710.jpeg
    IMG_4710.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4718.jpeg
    IMG_4718.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4723.jpeg
    IMG_4723.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 41
Thanks for the initial post! I'm looking forward to hearing how the diving goes.

My wife and I also stayed at Hamanasi in Hopkins and really loved the resort and diving they offered around South Water Caye marina reserve. We didn't get out to Glover's Reef soon that trip. We've also been on the Belize Aggressor III visiting Terneffe Atoll and Lighthouse Reef Atoll. We really enjoyed the atolls and want to visit Glover's as well.

While you're there, do you mind asking them if they offer vegan meal options?

We did three dives today. All quite close to the resort. Excellent visibility, and the reef is in good shape. we had three large Remora spend the first dive with us, hanging around and playing. Looked to be one mature adult and two slightly smaller that we’re playing with each other, I assume just like kids!
Only took the camera out on the very last dive as I wanted to get familiar with my new BCD and reg setup.

A nice breeze, which makes it very cool and pleasant, but it does make the sea a little more choppy.

I have my own gear so didn’t need to rent but my friend who came along, is new to SCIBA and rented gear. The gear was all seemingly new and established brands, no issues there

With regard to the question about vegan meals, I will ask tonight when we head over for dinner, but I don’t think it will be a problem as we had a nice conversation with the cook at lunchtime who mentioned that she takes pride in being creative for guests who have allergies or dietary preferences.

It really does feel like a family here. I know that might sound corny, but it’s probably the best descriptor I have of her warm, welcoming and accommodating. The staff has been.

Remember as you read this that I’m originally British and we pride ourselves in finding fault with everything :)

I talked to the kitchen staff. No issues with providing Vegan meals and she prides herself on making creative options for Vegans.

Just wrapped up the 2nd of 3 dives today. Reefs really are in excellent condition. Saw a few black tip reef sharks and a really cool, bright yellow porcupine horned puffer.

This is stright out of camera and i have not color corrected yet. It was even more vivid in person. The reef really is 'alive'

Attachments

• SportDiver_20240506_093059.jpg
    SportDiver_20240506_093059.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 31
Thank you for asking them about the food for me. That puffer is amazing! I’ve never seen a puffer like that in the Caribbean.

I will put Marisol at the top of my list for my next trip to Belize

I've been very impressed with the food. Not only is it very tasty but also well prepared and equally well presented - they take care.

Here's a few examples. Even the fresh fruit plate comes with its own decoration.

- A traditional 'Hudut' dish (fish over mashed green plantains in a mildly spicy coconut sauce). This has a decoration made of a form of batter and created to resemble a dark blue coral structure (cool!)
- Conch Ceviche
- Shrimp ravioli (made from scratch)
- Barracuda fritters with a side sauce and coleslaw
- Homemade chocolate cake with homemade vanilla ice cream with a 'caviar' of blueberries (tiny blueberries)

Attachments

• IMG_4730.jpeg
    IMG_4730.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4829.jpeg
    IMG_4829.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4840.jpeg
    IMG_4840.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4878.jpeg
    IMG_4878.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 19
Great night dive last night. Wide angle dive lights worked well and managed to see a beauty of an octopus. Always amazes me how quickly they can color change. I will process the video and provide a link.

Went out with Eddie, the resort owner/manager this morning on an early morning fishing trip to catch dinner. It's his usual habit and all of us are happy. He likes to bluewater fish and we're always happy to have it! Great ceviche and some tuna sashimi as a result.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom