Isla Mujeres Dining Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

miztflip

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Looking for restaurant recommendations on Isla for an upcoming trip. FYI, I'm more into local food, not interested in traveling to Mexico for Italian regardless of how good it is. 1st hand expericence is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I've seen the two sites above but am looking for more 1st hand knowledge, as all of the restaurant will tell you they are the best.

I used Trip Advisor and based on the recommendation there tried Cubanos-it was excellent. Great Cuban sandwhiches. Also, ate at Jax and although "American" their Isla Mujeres steak sand was outstanding. And get a bag of chicharones from the beach vendor.

I have gotten very good meals at ;
Bucanero,[ pretty nice inexpensive downtown hotel, too ] Buho's, [ bar & restaurant ] La Cazuela L & M [ [ for breakfast ], El Varedero de Oscar , [ there are 2 similiarly named places both with great food ], Zazil-Ha , & Qubano. My favorites for evening meals were 2 restaurants that were side by side with a fantastic beachfront sunset view, far S. of town. One was named Maria's Kan-kin, [ very quaint secluded hotel, too ] & I didn't write down the name of the other.

Last one was Caso-O's .

FYI: Casa-O's is no more-closed last year.

Other favorites: La Lomita,-edge of town Bruja's-in the colonias, Lo-lo Lorenas- wonderful! must make reservations. Lo-Lo is presently off island..don't know if she will be back in time for your trip.

Order the Can-do map for Isla. Laura and Perry who make the map are long time travelers to Isla. They are not affiliated with any restaurant or accomodation and give honest, accurate opinions. This helped us tremendously the first time in locating the little gems.:)

Pm me if you want more info.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. Just what I was looking for. Sounds like there are plenty of good places to try out.

Uh-oh. Hate to hear that Casa-O's has closed.
I like to go to the grocery store in town & pick up the fresh baked breads & pastries, too. There a few other places for fresh breads in the villages, but I cannot remember there names.
The map, I consider a " Must Have !"

Other favorites: La Lomita,-edge of town Bruja's-in the colonias, Lo-lo Lorenas- wonderful! must make reservations. Lo-Lo is presently off island..don't know if she will be back in time for your trip.
I've know Lolo for ages and she is an incredible cook (and quite a character !). She used to have an awesome restaurant downtown (and several other smaller joints depending upon her mood&#8230:wink:. Nowadays, she owns a guest-house/bakery in La Gloria colonia (near the Superior and Coca Cola warehouses). The croissants she bakes are heavenly (better than most I have here in Paris) and she also makes set-menu dinners by reservation only in her cute little yard. Not Mexican food, but probably the best meal you'll have on the island. She should be back on the island mid-september, don't know when she'll be open for business.

Back to Mexican food :
Downtown, there's a place on Juarez, on a corner across from a lavanderia, that serves good inexpensive Mexican food. Sorry, I can't remember the name or exact location. If they're full, they'll send you to a small taco place just up the street. Same owner and equally good.

It's been ages since I've been to La Lomita, but really liked the place. The Poc Na hostel also serves inexpensive dishes and it's a fun place to meet (young) people if traveling on your own.

On Sundays, several places in the colonia serve Cochinita pibil, typical pork dish from the Yucatan, the sauce/marinade is somewhat similar to that of Tikinxic fish (which you can have at Playa Lancheros).

For fish and seafood, plenty of options on the waterfront north of the ferry pier.

I also like Café Mogagua for the friendly service / lounge ambiance (food and cocktails are good too) and heard great things about the chicken wings from Bobo's fish&chips (haven't tried it myself yet).

Enjoy Isla !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom