Isla Whale Sharks from Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scoober

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All,
I am organizing a small group trip to Coz and have a few questions. I DM'd in Coz in 2002, and back then we sort of pioneered Yucatecan Whale Shark tours out of Holbox. Now, all these years later, it appears that a large pod of Whale Sharks congregates near Isla Mujeres starting around June of each year. Which is great, because we want to base in Coz and would rather not make the long schlep to Holbox if we don't have to. So, (i) is this absolutely the case, that the Whale Sharks hang out near Isla every "summer"? and (ii) if so, is early June too early to be sure (and if too early, when is early but safe bet--earlier the better for us)? and (iii) can we make a boat run from Coz to get to them (even if we need a "special" boat licensed on both sides of the channel)? and (iv) if all of this is so, any suggestions on an operator? Muchisimo Gracias!

Seems like the season starts circa 15 June. Google "Isla mujeres whale shark" for folks who do it.

We went last June 3rd out of Isla Mujeres. We did find Whale Sharks, but there were not a large number of them that early in the season. The later in June you go the better your chances it appears. The area they congregate in is ~ 60-90 minutes north of IM heading past Isla Contoy off the end of the peninsula. A boat ride from Coz would be very very long and and very costly for fuel I'd guess. We left IM at 8am. An overnite in Isla Mujeres may be your best bet.

We used http://www.islawhalesharks.com

Have fun
Rich

I remember when you did that trip Joe! I remember collecting a hug as you headed to the ferry to head home. Didn't really know you then, but we had to keep the taxistas happy!

The trip I took was with Whale Shark Daddy www.holboxwhalesharktours.com
We took the ferry over, met the van, rode to pier around Cancun, hopped on the boat and spent a few hours with the dominoes. Snorkel on the way back, clean up, van to the ferry, and home to Cozumel in time for dinner.

Be sure to have everyone take their anti-emetic!

I remember when you did that trip Joe! I remember collecting a hug as you headed to the ferry to head home. Didn't really know you then, but we had to keep the taxistas happy!

I remember. I like hugs. As much as I hate the ferry and what it means (leaving Cozumel). Twas a great ending to a great trip. I wish we had more time together on that one. More hugs needed... I look forward to an arrival hug for Kim and myself in the future.
04.gif

Forget the boat from Coz, I doubt you will find anyone in Coz to do that, it's impractical and logistically not really doable, unless you had a boat with living quarters and spent a couple days.

Yes Isla is a for sure site for whalesharks, agree with others about the dates, though Ramon Guerrero (of islawhalesharks.com) says they start showing up much earlier than June, the thick of it is July and August.

Here's a vid of my trip in 2004, Ramon Guerrero is seen on the boat and in the water in yellow speedo, great guy:

[video=youtube;FP-7Y4L66gM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP-7Y4L66gM[/video]

Thanks Antonio. When I was working in COz back in 02, the Whale Sharks weren't hanging around Isla. Or if they were, no dive or other tourist ops knew about it. I made the Holbox run with some fishermen, sleeping in a fishing camp between the Whale Sharks and Holbox. It truly was an amazing experience, with not only the Sharks, but also dolphins and, yep, a couple of Mantas! Then we grabbed a few Lobsters, caught a few fish and made an incredible Ceviche. Slept in Hammocks that night--good thing we had Mozzie Nets! Anyway, the only downside to the Holbox run was the viz, as your "photo" shows. It really will be cool to get the Whale Sharks in clear water! Really looking forward to it!!

Just getting back on-board this thread. Muchisimo gracias to all of y'all for the info. I'll tell you, the more I organize these trips for my small groups, the more fun I have doing it. While I am no longer "in the field" (I was a working diver in Playa, Tulum, Coz, Belize, Bay Islands, Fiji, Philippines, Marshall Islands and Palau for a number of years), I can stretch the fun of a single actual trip into weeks and months of virtual fun through the planning process! Anyway, thanks again all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom