Question ISO Padi aow manual pdf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim. You seem to be very knowledgeable about the intricacies of Padi, and since I am a novice in terms of the shoulds and coulds of the Padi system... How should the Padi AOW training work?
So far, we have watched 1.5 hours of videos that are almost more of an introductory to the different segments of the AOW but do not have much detailed information. We were then each given an incomplete scanned and printed copy of the AOW Spanish Manual and told to read it. Our next thing is the dives to apply the training on-site. I am trying to dig in deeper and at least get the English manual so that we can understand it in our native language due to the danger of not fully understanding the topics.
I am nervous for myself and my children to grasp the training fully. That is why I am reaching out.
Your input is appreciated.
I am sadly very aware of how some instructors teach AOW. My own AOW course was similar. Here's the DVD, watch it. Here's the manual; read the sections for the dives we will do. Then do the dives.
It imparted a false sense of security and knowledge. I came close to getting into trouble a few times due to that.

Following those experiences, it wasn't until I started to dive with a couple of GUE-trained divers and joined this board that my eyes were opened. NW Grateful Diver used to post a lot about the AOW class that he taught in the Pacific Northwest.

It was a class that had minimum entry and exit requirements, could be failed, and imparted new skills and knowledge to allow one to do the dives safely that the card gave access to.

When I became an instructor, I modeled my classes after his and subsequently wrote a book about how I teach my classes, how to interview an instructor for advanced-level training, what dives and skills should be included, and what you should do before the class to prepare for it.

That book was given to all of my AOW and Tech class students because my AOW was once called an Intro to Tech on steroids by one of the first people who took it.
"SCUBA: A Practical Guide to Advanced Level Training" is available on Amazon and in Kindle format.

I even have a few instructors around the country who require it for the DM candidates.

As to how should be PADI training for AOW work? My OPINION is that it should give you the tools to safely do the dives that the card gives you access to.

Does it? Depends on the instructor because some great PADI instructors do that. But many do not and just teach to the minimum.

I found that it does not give you the tools when taught to the minimum standards. It is often described as a "taste or tour" of advanced-level dives. That's not good enough.

When I took it, it did not cover gas management to the degree it should when diving to deeper depths in mixed teams. It did not place enough emphasis on buddy and rescue skills.

Personally, I feel rescue should be taken before AOW, and did that many times. 12 yr olds are fully capable of taking a rescue class because a good one is as much, if not more, about preventing an accident as it is to respond to one.

I would try to cancel this class, get a refund, then find an instructor locally who would teach a proper AOW class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom