It has been a year or so since the "Obama is going to ban all fishing" threads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Wu

Contributor
Reaction score
The State Department adds pages to my Passport abo
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So I ask,

How has your fishing changed over the past year?

What sort of things have become illegal? What has changed for you under the administration currently in office.

There was so much excitement when this was discussed earlier.

How are things now?

Things suck now...
Doesn't matter whether or not fishing is illegal, no one has a job or the money to go...

Talk radio is still going strong, last I heard, Obama was still the evil overlord.

Freshly speared fish, grilled with mojo sauce and butter is still the way to go. People are still fishing as if he never banned it, oh yeah, he didn't

Oh, apparently red snapper are about to vanish from this earth. Jeez, I could go into a whole litany of where various agencies have taken the current administration as a justification to implement various inane and crazy restrictions simply because they know the One will back them up. So yes, it has caused a very definite change in spearing.

Ok, please do.

Not worth it. And it wouldn't prove anything to you anyhow. But anyone that dives the ledges and reefs on the coast from NC to Florida can tell you they are full of crap.

That's ok. I understand how people can make boasts and fail to back them up when backed into a corner.
So do we... heard a lot of that during the 2007/2008 campaign... still hearing it...

Im going fishing next week for 14 days for work and I will be fishing every minute I can. Salmon, Ling cod, and Rock fish will be my prize.
The change in fishing regulations is a state based approach based off of harvest numbers current and passed and a stock count. In Alaska its based off of the previous year and the current count of the stock plus various rates of growth and other variables. Over all NOAA does is provide the stock amount and other data and a recommendation on harvest limits. NOAA does have a voice in management for ocean fish since they kinda have a lot of good information and are using proven science for stock counts also a most of them do have PhD's in fisheries and other sciences that are important to the fisheries.
Just because one sees "a lot of em" doesn't mean much since it is a statical anomaly and that is corrected with an average of the total fish stock. This is basic management of fish stock. Restrictions on gear also helps increase the stock by limiting the total harvest by default. Windows are also another method to control the harvest and this also increases the total stock. Overall various stocks take awhile to grow some are slow like the Atlantic cod that were devastated due to over fishing and removing the breeding stock and destroying the breeding grounds. Proper management is meant to grow stocks and have sustainable stocks for years to come.

My two cents into this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom