It's not the agency, it's not the instructor... it's the diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slamfire

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
portada_imagen_full.jpg

Two days ago, after being abandoned by his dive boat, this dude swam for 10 hrs in open water to get safely to shore. And he did it with his gear on his back (at least according to an earlier version of this press report). It's not about the machismo of claiming that back in my day training required swimming three km in full gear and doing 500 pushups with the tank on your back. It's about dominating your fears, and having the presence of mind and the strength of spirit to do what it takes to survive.

When I see his minimalist gear, I am reminded of how a LDS employee once told me I should throw away an older BCD I was looking to have the inflator hose replaced. Other than that and having faded colors it was fine. He said that this is life support equipment and I should buy a new one from their shop instead of trying to rescue my old one. :shakehead:

He had a buddy. They decided to separate (wrong decision IMO). The buddy wanted to swim to Cayos Cochinos because he estimated they were closer. The dude wanted to swim mainland, more specifically home. He made landfall at an hour walking distance from his village. He rested for an hour in the beach, and then went on walking to his village.

The buddy was rescued alive and well near the mainland, but many km's (20ish) to the east.

Good for him. I wish more stories ended like this one.

Thanks for sharing.

I found the text that points that he made the swim with his gear. It is the picture caption for the 2nd image in the article:
Luis Andrés en ningún momento dejó abandonada su herramienta de trabajo, se salvó y también a su equipo de buceo.
"Luis Andres didn't ever abandon his working tools [he's a lobster diver], he saved himself and his diving gear."

It's not about the machismo of claiming that back in my day training required swimming three km in full gear and doing 500 pushups with the tank on your back. It's about dominating your fears, and having the presence of mind and the strength of spirit to do what it takes to survive.

Right on. Thanks for this thread.

*edit* I find it inspirational, especially since Luis Sanchez seems to be a hefty fella, and up here in Norte America we tend to think hefty means unfit.

Translation for the Spanish challenged:

La Ceiba,

Honduras

A fishing day ended up in a struggle for survival for diver Luis Andres Sanchez, age 35. He swam for more than 10 hours in a raging sea until he got to the shores of the Roma village near La Ceiba.

The diver said that this past Tuesday he left at 6am from El Provenir village with his dive buddy, Oscar Antonio Molina. Both of them boarded a boat (launch) property of the fishing company, Darvi Delina. They took their scuba gear with intent to fish for some lobster.

The boat driver, identified as "El Chele" [the blond one or blonde], took them close to Utila. It was a beautiful sunny day with calm seas when the divers descended. While the boat driver waited for them at surface, a strong storm suddenly hit them. The boat driver took off, scared about what the storm could do to the boat and abandoned the divers to their own luck.

When the divers returned to surface to unload their catch, they found there was no boat. They were abandoned in the midst of the sea and under an intense storm.

“We were in the open ocean, the winds were strong and the swells were terrible, just like the storm. My buddy and I decided to swim to a shore. He said he was going to head to Cayos Cochinos and I just went for Sambo Creek.", said the survivor. Luis said he swam for 10 hours without finding anybody that would help him. He could see lights in the distance, and he was making every effort to get to shore. “Sometimes I felt tired because of the impacts of the waves." During his trek he did not encounter any marine life that could harm him, such as sharks [love the enlightenment of the press].

On Wednesday at around 4am he got to a beach near a hotel. He rested on the beach for an hour and continued on his way on foot until he arrived to the garifuna village of Sambo Creek, where he was helped by his brothers. "I walked for an hour and a half until I came to my family. They had no idea what I had just gone through.", he said.

Luis Andres was born in Nueva Armenia village. He's been a diver for 8 years. "Nothing like this had ever happened to me before," said the diver with a smile in his face. The boat owner, Filiberto Arias, arrived at the Village and explained that Oscar Molina, the other diver, was rescued yesterday afternoon (evening?) near Lislis village.

"'El Chele' [blonde], because of his lack of experience returned to El Porvenir [when he fled from the storm]. When he went back for the divers he couldn't find them even though the divers saw him. He was unable to see them", said Arias.

This guy is awesome.

....after resting for another hour in his village, Luis continued walking until he found 'El Chele', then proceeded to kick his ass.

Thats what the rest of this story should say.

yah, couple things come to mind as a diver and a boat captain....

First... If I am a diver and if a boat leaves me, and I survive it, the captain probably won't.

Second... If I were to leave a diver as a boat captain, I would expect the butt whoopin of a lifetime.

edit
By the way, thanks for sharing. Great story.

Back
Top Bottom