It's on! Sea Shepherd has Japanese whalers on the run

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I watched a few clips of Whale Wars on Youtube, and as much as I support the cause there tactics didn't seem effective enough to rattle the Whaling Industry. I mean they don't have arrest powers and they don't destroy there equipment ( yea I know its controversial) ... eventually these whalers are gonna see Sea Shepard for what they really are, a paper tiger, all bark no bite. I know there have been debates about this issue before and I am not trying to argue whether it is right or wrong, but tactically it doesn't seem effective to reduce the number of Whalers that come into Australian waters. What it might help with is public awareness and outrage at these Whaling operations, but beyond that it just seems like entertainment to me. If I am wrong correct me, I only saw about 15min totally in video clips from various encounters.

Good for them. I think they should buy a new boat. It would make season 2 very short, but very interesting!

20061027071116%21Uss_iowa_bb-61_pr.jpg

The images of those whales getting harpooned is hard to watch - and those signs they hold up is laugh out loud BS. They should harpoon the whaling fleet.

I watched a few clips of Whale Wars on Youtube, and as much as I support the cause there tactics didn't seem effective enough to rattle the Whaling Industry. I mean they don't have arrest powers and they don't destroy there equipment ( yea I know its controversial) ... eventually these whalers are gonna see Sea Shepard for what they really are, a paper tiger, all bark no bite. I know there have been debates about this issue before and I am not trying to argue whether it is right or wrong, but tactically it doesn't seem effective to reduce the number of Whalers that come into Australian waters. What it might help with is public awareness and outrage at these Whaling operations, but beyond that it just seems like entertainment to me. If I am wrong correct me, I only saw about 15min totally in video clips from various encounters.

Last year Sea Shepherd helped to save about 500 whales. The Japanese went
home with half of their self impossed quota. This hits them hard financiallly and
it's a victory for 500 whales. This year the Japanese are going to get less than
that.

10,9,8,7 the countdown begins on save the whaler/Japan posts

If it saves even one (insert whatever you want to here) ...

Edit: looks like they may be in Australian waters

Let's hope no one gets hurt or killed while he's out there doing his thing

Are you kidding, I've watched the show, those clowns can't even launch a Rhib boat. I don't like whaling but the only thing the Sea Shepherd crew is good at is showing how inept they are. I watch the show because I think they're funny.

Somebody will get hurt, badly, eventually, and sea shepered will use it as a rally point, regardless of the fact that they most likely will be the cause of it.
Too bad ... Capt Watson won't even listen to the Australian government ether ....

A joint statement from Foreign Minister Stephen Smith and Environment Minister Peter Garret was made on the matter earlier this month.
"We call upon all parties to exercise restraint and to ensure that safety at sea is the highest priority,'' the statement read.

Capt Watson said the Government was playing "silly games''.
"We have Australian citizens on board here who are quite ready to inform the Japanese that they are in contempt of an Australian Federal Court order, and this is really something the Government should be doing instead of playing silly little games in Tokyo, which isn't going to get anywhere,'' he said.
Sea Shepherd persuing Japanese whalers Yushin Maru 2 in Australian Antarctic waters | World News | News.com.au

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom