I've Caught The Bug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron_cooper

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just last spring I have gotten certified for OW. I had tried it a few years ago, at the time I was wearing glasses and my eyesight was only fair to about five feet. After that everything had a blur to it. Well the short into we had in a pool and then the afternoon dive was alright but I wasn't that impressed to try it again. This spring we were at a wedding in the Dominican Republic, and the resort we were at had a dive shop. Well I have had my eyes lazered and even though they aren't perfect I can see very good. I immediatly signed up when I found out they could certify me there. My first open water dive was on an old steel cargo ship that was partilly submerged, It was great we swam along it to within twenty feet. I could see everything, pieces of steel along the rocks it had beached on, the coral and fish all over the place and the slight rolling of the sand on the bottom between sections of rock. The dive was only 16 meters but it was the most I had ever seen underwater. On the second dive I was a little freaked out with having to remove and then clear my mask, I got it done thought. I have practised that more since. On my last dive this was the best. We dove on an old wooden vessel. We anchored about a kilometer off shore and when I looked over the side you could see everything we were going to dive on. Everyone got excited it was co calm and clear. The dive was to about 16 - 20 meters We got to the bottom and started swimming over the rock outcroppings, with the current we had it was a slow process. After about thirty meters we came to the anchor it was at least four maybe five meters tall. This was great. We followed the chain links up and over a rock formation, Here was the wooden vessel or it used to be wood, now all that is left is coral. There was a few odd peices of steel sticking up though what was left. We explored for a little while longer but soon had to return to surface.
Since we have gotten back to the cold north I have been finding out how I can continue, and getting as much info on equipment. In two months we will be going to Newfoundland, I am hoping I will be able to dive on the four ships that were sunk by a German sub in WWII.They are located just off of Bell Island.

Hey welcome fellow diver who's been bitten by the scuba bug, get out that credit card, 'cuz the ride is about to begin. Would lovet o dive a WWII submarine, let us know how it goes.
David

Welcome to Scubaboard and glad you caught the bug ... I've considered the laser surgery too - but in the meantime I'm just grateful for glasses and RX masks... otherwise it would always be 2 ft vis...

Aloha, Tim

congrtas, just been bit myself and i have to admit im darn hooked. enjoy yourself and be safe.

Welcome to the "been bit by the bug" club. congrats. I'm far sighted so I use Optix inserts in my mask to see my computer, compass and bottom timer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom