IWR or Pure oxygen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFM = full-face mask, the mouth as well as nose is enclosed by the mask.

The problem with using air is the nitrogen level. With every minute the diver is underwater, he/she is adding nitrogen to their system.

Is this question for information or do you have symptoms?

Today 08:29 PM

Well,It is just a question.Because I'm divng most of the day in a remote localities(pearl farm) and I'll like to know more about IRW.
There is once happen to my buddy.He was out of air at 22m(dive time=50',decompress dive)).At first he was in reserve(50bar) and he told his buddy so they were heading to the boat to get another tank.On the way back,he totally ran out of air,(his buddy was in front of him and doesn't know about it!).Because he is newbie and doesn't know what to do at that time and he lost his buddy so he just stay there and he fall unconcious.When he regain concious he was on the surface,and he shouted for help.(he should be died already at that time)
There is one diver on board quickly brought him down to half of the depth(11m)and start doing IWR with normal air.Lucky enough,he didn't have any sign of DCS.Sounds impossible but it is true!
That's why I want to know more about IRW.

Jean eve:

Well,It is just a question.Because I'm divng most of the day in a remote localities(pearl farm) and I'll like to know more about IRW.
There is once happen to my buddy.He was out of air at 22m(dive time=50',decompress dive)).At first he was in reserve(50bar) and he told his buddy so they were heading to the boat to get another tank.On the way back,he totally ran out of air,(his buddy was in front of him and doesn't know about it!).Because he is newbie and doesn't know what to do at that time and he lost his buddy so he just stay there and he fall unconcious.When he regain concious he was on the surface,and he shouted for help.(he should be died already at that time)
There is one diver on board quickly brought him down to half of the depth(11m)and start doing IWR with normal air.Lucky enough,he didn't have any sign of DCS.Sounds impossible but it is true!

There are so many things wrong with this situation that it's hard to know where to begin.

Suffice it to say that this was an avoidable incident and your buddy doesn't need training in IWR, he needs training in gas management and watching his meters.

R..

Jean eve:
....snip....
Lucky enough,he didn't have any sign of DCS.Sounds impossible but it is true!

IWR works but it's hard to control and risky as compared to a chamber as the others have already said.

....AND.....

If you really need to apply IWR then you've already made some big mistakes and your procedures need work. In fact, I'd say that it's better to work on your procedures *before* you find yourself in this situation. For example (just to give you some ideas), you can think about gas management, surface support, staging Murphy bottles in the water (or along the ascent line), creating a deco tent with surface air supply, anchoring proper ascent lines for controlled deco levels, planning for deco situations instead of reacting to them, making use of experienced safety divers and so on....

Your interest in IWR is understandable but if I were you I would put my effort into avoiding the problem instead of reacting to it.

R..

Originally posted by Diver0001
Your interest in IWR is understandable but if I were you I would put my effort into avoiding the problem instead of reacting to it.

Well,but sometimes we can't avoid an accidents(even if try our best to avoid it)and of course we'll always try our best to avoid it.Even this,there is still a lot of accidents happening.And it's no harm to know more.Isn't it is better to know how to avoiding the problem and also know how to reacting it???
Anyway,just want to know more about IWR.Thanks

originally posted by MikeC
The problem with using air is the nitrogen level. With every minute the diver is underwater, he/she is adding nitrogen to their system.

So does it mean that it is useless to conduct IWR with normal air??unless with pure oxygen.

Jean eve:
Does IWR have a course to take???(I mean where can I get train for it)

Jean,

I know of no one who teaches it as a course, per se, but the first website suggested by Jeff Lane is an extremely good study of the subject.

Jean eve:

Some information seems missing, like how long was he out of the water. YOu say he shouted for help, but did he have no symptoms of DCS?
If he was out of the water for very short time and does not exhibit any symptoms of DCS (or DCI) then what you are describing is not IWR, but a missed stop procedure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom