IYHO - Best Underwear for Ice Water Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello Again!

My current assembly of thermal undergarments is old & not particularly good, thus am looking to upgrade for use with my new ( as yet undecided ) drysuit.

So what's everybody liking out there?

Regards,
DSD

I have a Hollis AUG 200, which has been discontinued. I've been comfortable in my DUI CNse to 36 degrees. But, it all comes to personal preference!

Aqualung Thermal Fusion undergarment.

I find mine so warm that I have only used it 3 times since owning it, and the water temp needs to be sub 4c (39f)...anything above that and my Thermal Fusion is just too warm for me.

-Z

How about ditching the drysuit and going for an electric heated 7mm bare reactive wetsuit?
Well, that sounds interesting! I did enjoy diving hot water suits back in the day. I'll give it a look - thanks!

Undergarments or underwear?

For underwear I recommend smartwool under any drysuit.

Undergarments look for fit first.

electric heated 7mm bare reactive wetsuit

No such thing as "electric heated" 7mm bare reactive wetsuit.

I make heating pads with e/o cord, I also make controllers and batteries, but you can use a Fathom Dive systems controller ($229 I just upgraded) and any battery, the heating pad is 12 x 10 inches and can reach a temperature of up to 130-150 degrees f on land depending on wattage 70-90w. I can make a pad for you $500 + controller $229 + your battery (1x250 watt hour or 2 x 160-watt hour) + 7mm wet suit and your good for 2 dives ice diving. I would also recommend a non-diving battery for the surface interval to stay warm without a hot hut. The costs are comparable or cheaper than a drysuit heated system and everything can fit in one mesh dive gear bag.

Attachments

• IMG-9032.jpg
    IMG-9032.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-9028.jpg
    IMG-9028.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-9019.jpg
    IMG-9019.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 39

Back
Top Bottom