Izu Dive report from July 17/18 (Better late than never)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Saturday was IOP, east Izu
Conditions were perfect, nice and sunny and not a ripple on the water. Viz was OK, maybe 6 meters or so. Being the weekend, the site was predictably busy, but we got there early and got in our first dive at the opening bell (8:40) so we were basically alone in the water. Summer hours, diving ends at 5:30.

One of my favorite sites for the topography, I was a little disappointed with the viz, but my goal was to practice buoyancy and trim…

During the summer, there is a series of small saltwater swimming pools for kids (and adults) so my kids were well entertained. One pool even has a waterfall/slide.

Besides my 2 hours of bottom time, I got like 4 hours of pool time being the “daddy boat” as my boys called me, in my 6.5mm suit with them on my back…

Sunday, Futo
This was my first time to Futo, in Ito, just north of IOP. Before getting into the water, I was a bit apprehensive looking at the large number if divers gearing up and marching to the entry zone. However, once in the water, I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of divers once I ventured 5 minutes from the entry, especially in the kelp.

The site is quite large and easily navigable, thanks to the horseshoe-shaped sandy area that is bordered by kelp rich with anemone and fish. Most divers seemed to keep to the border of the kelp/sand, since that is the easiest way to navigate. With a compass and rudimentary skills, you can follow a heading out into the kelp and be all alone with your buddy.

This is a nice site, lots of life, really dense. The kelp areas were absolutely packed with fish and invertebrates, even a load of lobsters. It is not very deep, I think 36 foot max in the kelp, maybe 50 foot or so in the sandy areas. I definitely plan on going back.

You can get a little deeper at Futo, just gotta know which heading to go.

Also, which site at Futo did you dive, there are two beach sites, Yokobama and Wakinohama. I figure you dove Wakinohama if there were divers lining up.

I like to dive IOP in the winter, or do boat dives there. Some really nice deep sites, too.

Mar Scuba:
You can get a little deeper at Futo, just gotta know which heading to go.

Yup, if you keep going in the right direction, the depth eventually becomes unlimited... :wink:

Mar Scuba:
I figure you dove Wakinohama if there were divers lining up..

Yup again...

Mar Scuba:
I like to dive IOP in the winter, or do boat dives there. Some really nice deep sites, too.

Sure is deep. Been right down to recreational limits there several times. Nice thing is, there's still lots of nice stuff to see at that depth on the third wall; nice soft corals some big fish and an occasional shark.

Wish it weren't such a long drive...(IOP, not the third wall)

If you consider IOP a long drive, try going down to Shimoda (Mikomoto).

I didn't know you could go that deep or with boat in IOP. If anyone drives I will bring my scooters :eyebrow:

Thomas, good news. Dive van registration has been done and insurance will probably be in effect within the next few days.

IOP has great boat dives, probably no room on the boat for those DPVs, are they short or long body?

Jim, I suggest a three day weekend in Shimoda, maybe in September to see the hammerheads.

Will check my calendar and schedule something soon.

TJO:
I didn't know you could go that deep or with boat in IOP. If anyone drives I will bring my scooters :eyebrow:

Let's go down on a weekday and escape the parade of lemmings at the entry...

They will disperse at the sight of the big black scooters.

Mar Scuba:
They will disperse at the sight of the big black scooters.

The hammerheads in Mikomoto? Will I see you for a beer tonight?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom