Jamaica in november?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I were at Sandals Negril in Oct/Nov 2003 and had a fabulous time. The resort staff couldn't have been friendlier. Here's a link to our writeup and photos from the trip: http://home.earthlink.net/~mathis909/jamaica/index.htm

My first diving experience was a resort course on that trip. I had nothing to compare it with at the time, of course. In hindsight, the DMs were helpful and competent, if pretty laid back. The water was gorgeous (see the website pictures). The reefs and sealife were just so-so, although at the time I thought they were fantastic. Certified divers were allowed three tanks per day, I think. The trips were all one-tankers, but the dive sites were generally within 20 minutes of the resort.

There was no surf at all during our trip. Again, check the photos. It was bathtub flat at the beach. Outside the bay, there were little swells, maybe 2 feet. I spent many happy hours sailing off the beach in a Sunfish, so you know it couldn't have been very rough.

Bottom line, if this is going to be primarily a dive trip, Jamaica may not be your best bet. If it's going to be a vacation with some diving, I don't think you can beat Sandals.

Hey Divemaster really love your pics :). Ocho Rios is east of Montego Bay about 90 minutes-2 hour drive. The roads aren't that bad as Jamaican roads go, but coming from the states it might seem pretty bad to you.

Scot M:
My wife and I were at Sandals Negril in Oct/Nov 2003 and had a fabulous time. The resort staff couldn't have been friendlier. Here's a link to our writeup and photos from the trip: http://home.earthlink.net/~mathis909/jamaica/index.htm

My first diving experience was a resort course on that trip. I had nothing to compare it with at the time, of course. In hindsight, the DMs were helpful and competent, if pretty laid back. The water was gorgeous (see the website pictures). The reefs and sealife were just so-so, although at the time I thought they were fantastic. Certified divers were allowed three tanks per day, I think. The trips were all one-tankers, but the dive sites were generally within 20 minutes of the resort.

There was no surf at all during our trip. Again, check the photos. It was bathtub flat at the beach. Outside the bay, there were little swells, maybe 2 feet. I spent many happy hours sailing off the beach in a Sunfish, so you know it couldn't have been very rough.

Bottom line, if this is going to be primarily a dive trip, Jamaica may not be your best bet. If it's going to be a vacation with some diving, I don't think you can beat Sandals.

awesome photos, this would be our 2nd trip to sandals so we somewhat know what to expect. We too are going for our tenth and our 1st visit to sandals was for our honeymoon in st lucia. I can't say enough about the resort and staff and highly recommend to anyone who wants to go. While looking into booking the trip we saw the scuba was included and figured we could kill 2 birds wiht 1 stone. Nice relaxing all inclusive resort and scuba what could be better. Then started hearing that jamaica wasn't all that as far as scuba goes, our local dive shop recommended this site and posting a msg for real feed back, since we aren't expierenced divers.. we are taking our certification dives this weekend. she was right you people are great.

mels_2:
My husband and I are new to diving and are thinking of going to sandals resort in November in Jamaica does amyone have experience with either the sandals resort dive masters or with the jamaica surf in November? would you recommend to new divers?

SOR is a blast My wife and myself got certified there last year. The divemasters, were great! There used to be 2 resorts but now they are merged into 1 large resort. When we were there certified divers were allowed 2 one tank dives a day. they had nice equipment and dive boats. They try to keep the certified divers and resort divers on seperate trips.

The resort is beautiful and would love to go back for a third time.

Back
Top Bottom