Jamaica -- Negril, Montego Bay or Ocho Rios for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nubiesan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are looking to spend a week in Jamaica soon, and I'm wondering which area offers the best available diving.

Hubby and I are experienced, but we will be with daughter & SIL who is interested in trying. Their 2 year old will be with us.

Any suggestions?

About 3 years ago we stayed at FDR Pebbles in Runaway Bay between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. They have a dive op on site and they also have free daycare. The dive op was pretty good. The diving I thought was good to. It was my first dives after certification. I saw eagle rays and sharks (nurse) The resort was clean,small they call it boutique. The food was good too, it was an AI.

Negril for Diving

I've only been diving in Jamaica once. Before I went I did my due diligence and the information pointed towards Negril having the best diving. By 'best' I mean the best Jamaica has to offer because it is generally accepted that Jamaica is not known for its diving. That being said, I stayed over newyears 2007/2008 for two weeks. My wife chose the resort..The Sandals Negril..and the diving was included as part of the AI. FANTASTIC RESORT with a beautiful dive boat. They catered to the inexperienced diver so it left much to be desired. I did have fun though. They only did two dives per day which my wife appreciated because I got to spend more time with her. I wasn't that thrilled because it hurt to see that nice boat moored when it could have been out at least once more per day. I did have my only diving encounter with a dolphin here. That in itself made the trip worthwhile.
Jamaica 001.jpg

Jamaica 002.jpg

Jamaica 003.jpg

Jamaica 004.jpg

Jamaica 005.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality but you get the idea.

We've been to Jamaica twice, once in 2003 (to get married) and again in 2008 (for, well you know, it was five years later). Both times we stayed at the Couples Negril resort. First time we dove with the on-site shop; in 2008 we dove with SUNDIVERS NEGRIL JAMAICA. The really cool thing about both trips was that we could see measurable improvements in the reef (fish population counts were way up, and the fluffy stuff on the reefs appeared more healthy). We're already planning to celebrate #10 in Negril, and expect the reef conditions to have improved just that much more.

Sorry I can't give you any information on the rest of the island, but I would definitely give the Negril "Seven Mile Beach" are shot.

I lived in Jamaica and ran the watersports/scuba at what is now Sandals Dunn's River on the north shore many years ago, and still go to Jamaica to dive regularly. I am getting married in Jamaica in April Breezes Runaway Bay Wedding. It may be only for personal reasons that I prefer the north shore, but the winds/rough seas make it unpredictable for diving. Negril is on the leeward side and usually calm. I would rather dive in Negril than almost dive somewhere else.

Scuba One Travel - Runaway Bay Jamaica Underwater Photos

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

You will enjoy either Negril or Ochi diving. If you want an AI and you have a 2 year old with Beaches offers a great holiday. I have stayed at Beaches Negril and Beaches Boscobel, very different resorts (Negril has a 7 mile beach) but both offer excellent diving as part of the package. Check out their web sites.

SIL + 2 yo = Beaches Sandy Bay

Sandy Bay is also Negril, but the Beaches chain had to differentiate between it and Beaches Negril, only about 1/4 mile away. Beaches SB is a family orientated AI and has day care facilities. Imo, it also has a much superior beach.

For me, this would be a very welcomed Hobson's choice.

Go to negril and stay away from the all-inclusive resorts. Go stay with the REAL Jamaican out on the Cliffs. The hotels are either all-inclusive or not or even just B'fast if you want. The diving is the best in J and you can set up your trips at any front desk. I dive from the cliffs and from time to time take a boat dive. Stay at La Mirage or LTU Villas or maybe Catcha-Falling-Star. Even Samsara has a great dive shop on the property and you can get non-inclusive. The reason I stay away for the all-inclusives is that the locals get zero business and their food is ten times better than any resort and I have stated at the grand Lido which makes Sandals look like a motel 6. You just don't get the real Jamaican food just a cheap imitation of it. Also if you spend time out with the people you will go home with more than just a couple good dives under your belt. In fact the west-end guides can take you places were you will never see a tour operator from one of the big resorts. I love J and I will continue going there every year at least once.

Thanks for all the input!

Turns out we will be headed for Riviera Maya instead of Jamaica. My daughter thought that the kid-friendly places in Jamaica would be too crowded, so we opted for an out of the way place in Puerto Morales.

Thanks again!

Thanks for all the input!

Turns out we will be headed for Riviera Maya instead of Jamaica.

Sorry to hear that, Just got back from Ochos Rios last night, was a great place with very freindly people.
We have already started planning a trip back, but to Nagril.

Back
Top Bottom