Jamaica Spring Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike C

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning a trip to Jamaica in early April. Looking at the Hilton Rose hall Hotel in Montego Bay. Can anyone make diving suggestions / recommendations? Thanks.

There are often great expedia deals - I've stayed at the ritz below it and gotten great expedia packages.

Make sure to hit the haunted house- a great tour.

Nothing I've read about Jamaican diving would make me go their to dive. Are you headed there anyway for another reason? I take it this is not a dive vacation, but a vacation where you'll dive since you're there anyway?

Planning a trip to Jamaica in early April. Looking at the Hilton Rose hall Hotel in Montego Bay. Can anyone make diving suggestions / recommendations? Thanks.

We love diving in Negril, been there three times, and going back this December. If you are dead set on Mo Bay, sorry, but I can't help you, but if you are still planning and need suggestions, I'd recommend Couples Negril (where we've stayed every time) and xxx Dive Shop. But if you have already decided on Mo Bay, Sundivers' sister/parent dive shop, Jamaica Scuba Divers, operates out of there, as well.

And while we can only speak to Negril and the wonderful diving there, don't let anyone generalize about the entire island, and spoil it for you. Jamaica is a great place to visit, has lots of attractions, and you will be greeted by some very, very friendly folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - just looking for a place for my wife to chill on the beach while I go diving.

I did my Open Water certification in Montego Bay about two years ago. I was staying at the Ritz Carlton and I used a dive shop called Dive Seaworld Jamaica. The Ritz was a nice place but can't say the same for the dive shop. I am going back to Montego Bay, for work, in February and plan to stay at the Hilton Rose Hall which has a dive shop on premises.

I dove with sandals Montego Bay and was not impressed with the diving but Jamaica was fun

Yes - just looking for a place for my wife to chill on the beach while I go diving.

Negril is on the Seven Mile Beach, Couples (and the other all-inclusives along there) offers lots of non-diving activities, both on and off-site.

I have been to Jamaica 12 times...always to Negril area. By the third trip we no longer took our dive gear. IMHO the diving sucked....50 shades of brown. Reefs have been destroyed by dynamiting. That being said Jamaica is a blast, party 24/7... great food safe water wonderful people...we loved the island and its beaches but as a dive local it missed the mark. Spend the money and go to Negril area for romance and fun but leave the diving to another trip. Bill

I have been to Jamaica 12 times...always to Negril area. By the third trip we no longer took our dive gear. IMHO the diving sucked....50 shades of brown. Reefs have been destroyed by dynamiting. That being said Jamaica is a blast, party 24/7... great food safe water wonderful people...we loved the island and its beaches but as a dive local it missed the mark. Spend the money and go to Negril area for romance and fun but leave the diving to another trip. Bill

Can I ask when was the last time you dove Negril? Our experiences, beginnning in 2003, back in both 2008 and 2013, and now booked for 2015 are quite different than what you indicate. Each time we have gone back, we have actually found the reefs to be more healthy than the prior trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom