Jamaican fatality - family protests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
This story seemingly was not picked up on google until the demonstrations made the news, which was the reason for the protests I suppose. The Discovery Bay Marine Lab with a hyperbaric chamber seems to be 15 miles from the Emergency clinic, a 28 minute drive with current traffic according to google maps now. From this one report, it sounds like the correct protocol was followed in taking the injured diver to the Emergency clinic, but he was not able to receive needed treatment there nor be transported quickly enough...

Family Of Dead Diver Protest Outside St. Ann's Bay Hospital
Scores of placard-bearing relatives and friends of a diver who died at St. Ann's Bay Regional Hospital on Friday gathered outside the institution Thursday morning.
The deceased has been identified as 33 year-old Kirby Smallhorn.
They are accusing the hospital of medical negligence, claiming that it failed to adequately provide care for Mr. Smallhorn.
Mr. Smallhorn was taken to the Accident and Emergency Department of the St. Ann's Bay Regional Hospital with symptoms of decompression illness.
Decompression illness is associated with the sudden decrease in pressures during underwater ascent, usually occurring during dives.
Mr. Smallhorn's brother, Shawn Bennett, believes that the hospital did not act in a timely manner, given his brother's condition.
Mr. Bennett said he contacted the Discovery Bay Marine Laboratory which offers hyperbaric oxygen to treat his brother's condition. However, the hospital did not have an ambulance to transport him to the location.
In a statement Wednesday night, the North East Regional Health Authority said the patient's clinical symptoms deteriorated while preparations were being made for his transfer to the facility.
It disclosed that senior management of the hospital had an initial meeting with the family of the deceased in keeping with the Complaint Mechanism System.
Notification has also been received from the attorney representing the family.

This story seemingly was not picked up on google until the demonstrations made the news, which was the reason for the protests I suppose. The Discovery Bay Marine Lab with a hyperbaric chamber seems to be 15 miles from the Emergency clinic, a 28 minute drive with current traffic according to google maps now. From this one report, it sounds like the correct protocol was followed in taking the injured diver to the Emergency clinic, but he was not able to receive needed treatment there nor be transported quickly enough...

Family Of Dead Diver Protest Outside St. Ann's Bay Hospital

I wonder if the writer deliberately chose Decompression Illness instead of DCS, or if they don't know there's a difference in meaning.

I wonder if the writer deliberately chose Decompression Illness instead of DCS, or if they don't know there's a difference in meaning.

Since DCI includes DCS, it's a good way to not be wrong and chastised for it later. Now if they could use the word gas instead of the dreaded word oxygen, we would all be happy. Or not.

Bob

Decompression Illness= Decompression Sickness and/or Arterial Gas embolism (from barotrauma).

Thanks for posting the story.

Since DCI includes DCS, it's a good way to not be wrong and chastised for it later. Now if they could use the word gas instead of the dreaded word oxygen, we would all be happy. Or not.

Bob

I hope the writer knew this. But, well, oxygen instead of air 9 times out of 10 makes me wonder if it was deliberate. If you're right, that writer knows more about diving than typical....

Now if they could use the word gas instead of the dreaded word oxygen, we would all be happy.
Bob

LP gas, welding gas or the gas you put in your car :)? Would air not be a better option, after all we typically fill cylinders with compressed air.

I fully agree with your sentiment about the use of oxygen.

Back
Top Bottom