Trip Report Jan 2024: Anilao, Puerta Galera and Boracay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riceowls

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just came back from a two-week trip to the Philippines. The first half was a diving vacation; the second was mainly work 9conference) with a couple of dives squeezed in. A quick note to give back to the community and a few photos.

A few general notes - the water is much colder than I anticipated. My wife really wished she brought her 7mm wetsuit instead of 5. She borrowed shorty from every shop. I started doing that in PG where we had 24C water on the first day. Biodiversity is amazing, especially for small creatures. It's a pain to get there, but once you are in that part of the world, diving is a must.
1) 3 nights/ 7 dives - Anilao. We stayed in Buceo - no complaints. I like the simplicity of this diving-oriented operation. The accommodation is okay for the price, though it is more expensive than PG. The food is good - we mainly stuck with Filipino cuisine options. The sea was a bit rough, so we mainly did close-by sites except for the first day, where we crossed to dive near Maricaban Island. We also did a blackwater dive (- amazing!) and a night dive on a house reef (excellent). Bottom times were around 60min
2) Puerta Galera (4 nights/9 dives) - We stayed in Steps and dived with Captain Greg. Happy with both choices. Steps are on the hill, but we left the diving gear in CG, and folks in Tamarind restaurant (the best in Sabang) who are under the same ownership helped us with the bags. I feel like we got a great deal on accommodation, $45/night for a superior room, and CG diving rates are unbelievingly low. Compared to Anilao, I feel like the water temperature was 1-2C lower and visibility slightly worth it (that may have to do with the storm on the day of our transfer) but the diversity of small creatures is as good. Bottom times were a bit shorter, perhaps averaging 50min but justified given the dive profiles and water temperature. The only thing that was considerably better in Anilao was night diving. On the last day, we went to a muck site in Batangas channel by San Antonio Island, which was perhaps more diverse than all our anilao dives.
3) We did one night-shore dive and one wreck dive on Boracay with Calypso. It's not as good as PG/Anilao, but it's still very enjoyable. The night dive was 60min, but the wreck was only 33 min - disappointing as we were told to go up when we still had 10+min of non-deco time and a half tank of air. I think one of the other divers ran out of air, and there was only one guide per group.
PXL_20240120_042911710_exported_11430.jpg
PXL_20240120_044459819.jpg
PXL_20240120_020722834.jpg
PXL_20240116_002959759.jpg
PXL_20240114_111319346.jpg

I usually dive with 5mm full suit + 3mm shortie + thermal vest with hood at this time of yr in PG.
I have seen divers using dry suit, not sure how thick was the under garment used.

The best site in Boracay is Yapak II.

Nice write up. I don't recall the temps last time I dove Anilao and PG 10 years ago....but I was in rash guard and shorts. Makes me wonder if it has gotten.....colder?

I was OK last March in Anilao in a 5mm with a hood and gloves.

Nice write up. I don't recall the temps last time I dove Anilao and PG 10 years ago....but I was in rash guard and shorts. Makes me wonder if it has gotten.....colder?
Just came back from PG last wk and saw divers on dry suit.
We are all different on cold tolerance.

I just came back from a two-week trip to the Philippines. The first half was a diving vacation; the second was mainly work 9conference) with a couple of dives squeezed in. A quick note to give back to the community and a few photos.

A few general notes - the water is much colder than I anticipated. My wife really wished she brought her 7mm wetsuit instead of 5. She borrowed shorty from every shop. I started doing that in PG where we had 24C water on the first day. Biodiversity is amazing, especially for small creatures. It's a pain to get there, but once you are in that part of the world, diving is a must.
1) 3 nights/ 7 dives - Anilao. We stayed in Buceo - no complaints. I like the simplicity of this diving-oriented operation. The accommodation is okay for the price, though it is more expensive than PG. The food is good - we mainly stuck with Filipino cuisine options. The sea was a bit rough, so we mainly did close-by sites except for the first day, where we crossed to dive near Maricaban Island. We also did a blackwater dive (- amazing!) and a night dive on a house reef (excellent). Bottom times were around 60min
2) Puerta Galera (4 nights/9 dives) - We stayed in Steps and dived with Captain Greg. Happy with both choices. Steps are on the hill, but we left the diving gear in CG, and folks in Tamarind restaurant (the best in Sabang) who are under the same ownership helped us with the bags. I feel like we got a great deal on accommodation, $45/night for a superior room, and CG diving rates are unbelievingly low. Compared to Anilao, I feel like the water temperature was 1-2C lower and visibility slightly worth it (that may have to do with the storm on the day of our transfer) but the diversity of small creatures is as good. Bottom times were a bit shorter, perhaps averaging 50min but justified given the dive profiles and water temperature. The only thing that was considerably better in Anilao was night diving. On the last day, we went to a muck site in Batangas channel by San Antonio Island, which was perhaps more diverse than all our anilao dives.
3) We did one night-shore dive and one wreck dive on Boracay with Calypso. It's not as good as PG/Anilao, but it's still very enjoyable. The night dive was 60min, but the wreck was only 33 min - disappointing as we were told to go up when we still had 10+min of non-deco time and a half tank of air. I think one of the other divers ran out of air, and there was only one guide per group.

We just booked at Steps. Looked perfect.

Would you be able to give some more details on Capt Greggs? Their website is very sparse. For example, how was the boat? Do they plan their dives for 60 mins? Are they good for experienced divers?

Do you think we need to book the dives, or could we just rock up and check out the diving centers? We’re arriving on 28th Feb.

Any additional info appreciated.

Thanks, Peter

@carono6333
One step at a time.
There is NO need to book the dive. I would suggest you just check all the centres that you are interested and ask any question you have in mind.
But make sure you avoid those that mainly catering for Koreans and chinese.
A little bit of history:

Chuck Driver is the owner of CG and the shop have been around many many yrs. If you are interested in Tec dive than I am pretty sure Chuck would have plenty of stories to entertain you. He and late John Bennett descend to 200m in 1999.
The shop was burnt down few years ago and you looking at the relatively new building now.

@carono6333
One step at a time.
There is NO need to book the dive. I would suggest you just check all the centres that you are interested and ask any question you have in mind.
But make sure you avoid those that mainly catering for Koreans and chinese.
A little bit of history:

Chuck Driver is the owner of CG and the shop have been around many many yrs. If you are interested in Tec dive than I am pretty sure Chuck would have plenty of stories to entertain you. He and late John Bennett descend to 200m in 1999.
The shop was burnt down few years ago and you looking at the relatively new building now.
Thanks for the info! Chuck seems like an interesting guy. I’ve booked a couple of dives with them for our first full day there, but we’ll be flexible in case we prefer to dive elsewhere. I had a look at their facebook page and everything looked pretty good.

Thanks again for the post - very useful

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom