Janolust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My favorite nudibranch is Janolus barbarensis. They are usually uncommon around Palos Verdes. I find less than a handful each year. Until I dived at Biodome, a large rock inside the Pt. Vicente Marine Protected Area, I had never found more than two on the same dive. That number is now seven. I wasn't even trying to find them specificially. Every time I stopped to photograph a subject, a Janolus barbarensis seemed to be right there.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Janolus barbarensis

During the recent iNaturalist.com project, City Nature Challenge 2019: Los Angeles County I submitted seventy-three species from Biodome. There are thousands of species on the reef but I was limited to what I could capture clearly with a 105mm lens. Some that I missed included a Giant Sea Bass that swam right up to my camera before I turned on my focus light and several Halfmoons attacking salps in the kelp.

Hermissenda opalescens covered the reef. Large, small, some laying eggs while others seemed to be in attack mode. Blacksmiths and sheephead moved around the reef like swift-moving clouds. If anyone needed proof that MPAs work, all they need to do is dive Biodome. Compared to reefs a hundred yards away, Biodome is a mecca. It would be great if it could remain this way, but we had to remind four boatloads of fishermen that they were inside an MPA. Every one of them acted as if they had never heard of an MPA. Merry handed them some pamphlets with a map of the closed areas. The Sheriff boat came up to us and check to see what we were doing, including asking to see our cameras. Unfortunately, they weren't there when the fishermen were.

original.jpg

Hermissenda opalescens

original.jpg

original.jpg

Yellowfin Fringehead, Neoclinus stephensae

original.jpg

Phoronis ijimai, Vancouver phoronid

original.jpg

Polycera atra

original.jpg

Polycera tricolor

original.jpg

Orange Puffball Sponge, Tethya californiana

large.jpg

Octocoral, Thrombophyton coronatum

original.jpg

original.jpg

Ancula gibbosa

original.jpg

Boltenia villosa

original.jpg

Cuthona divae

original.jpg

Schuchertinia milleri

original.jpg

Limacia mcdonaldi

original.jpg

Abronica abronia

original.jpg

Pyrosoma atlanticum being consumed by a Sunburst anemone, Anthopleura sola

original.jpg

Pteropurpura trialata, Three Winged Murex eggs

After our dives, we visited with the LAUPS group aboard the Giant Stride at Hawthorne Reef. The had a couple of great dives as well and then they were going to Biodome for their third dive. I'm sure a lot of jpegs came home from the reef.

LAUPS.jpg

Awesome pictures!

Is this the big rock just off the point with the lighthouse?

Back
Top Bottom