January 1st morning dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone ever been to Coz on Jan 1?? We are trying to set up a morning dive that day and have hit a brick wall. Seems that most ops give the crews that morning off and only some do an afternoon dive. There is a stool at Mezcalitos with my name on it that afternoon. Would prefer to dive in the morning. So far we have been shot down by....
Deep Blue
Liquid Blue
Blue XT Sea
Eagle Ray
Aldora
and counting

Anyone know of an op that dives that morning????

Thanks
Rich

sddiver:
Anyone ever been to Coz on Jan 1?? We are trying to set up a morning dive that day and have hit a brick wall. Seems that most ops give the crews that morning off and only some do an afternoon dive. There is a stool at Mezcalitos with my name on it that afternoon. Would prefer to dive in the morning. So far we have been shot down by....
Deep Blue
Liquid Blue
Blue XT Sea
Eagle Ray
Aldora
and counting

Anyone know of an op that dives that morning????

Just out of curiousity, is there a reason why you're determined to dive Jan 1? Personally I'd rather dive Dec 31, party that night and relax Jan 1.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but finding a dive op willing to take you out the morning of Jan 1 is going to be difficult at best. I went during Carnaval in Feb, and the entire day after the big parade, the DM's came in bleary eyed and staggering from their hangovers. Do you really want to take a chance on diving the day after the biggest party night of the year and risk getting a crew who is hungover or exhausted? Accidents can and do happen.

My advice is to pay attention to these ops who are denying you and take Jan 1 off. After all, Mezcalito's opens in the morning, doesn't it? :)

Whatever you decide, best of luck in your search!

cxg31s:
Just out of curiousity, is there a reason why you're determined to dive Jan 1? Personally I'd rather dive Dec 31, party that night and relax Jan 1.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but finding a dive op willing to take you out the morning of Jan 1 is going to be difficult at best. I went during Carnaval in Feb, and the entire day after the big parade, the DM's came in bleary eyed and staggering from their hangovers. Do you really want to take a chance on diving the day after the biggest party night of the year and risk getting a crew who is hungover or exhausted? Accidents can and do happen.

My advice is to pay attention to these ops who are denying you and take Jan 1 off. After all, Mezcalito's opens in the morning, doesn't it? :)

Whatever you decide, best of luck in your search!

Well said Angie!

The truth is that my guys would be responsible if they knew they had a trip the next morning, and would not be hungover, but I am choosing to give them the day off and allow them to have a break and enjoy themselves. They deserve it! I don't make them work Christmas Day either...

I guess the argument could be made that the nature of this business is to cater to the tourists and working holidays is part of the job, but I disagree. Everyone deserves to have the holidays off and to spend time with family and friends on these special days.

I honestly cannot think of one operator on the island that has morning dives on January 1st. MAYBE Dive Paradise or Sand Dollar, but I'm not even sure about that. Good luck. Sorry I cannot help you that morning.

Christi:
I guess the argument could be made that the nature of this business is to cater to the tourists and working holidays is part of the job, but I disagree. Everyone deserves to have the holidays off and to spend time with family and friends on these special days.
You need to come and run my airline!! :)

I haven't had a holiday off in over 4 years. I have to fly all those tourists around! :)

mempilot:
You need to come and run my airline!! :)

I haven't had a holiday off in over 4 years. I have to fly all those tourists around! :)

I think that air travel is a completely different thing...haha!

I'm talking about a small little dive op on an island :)

Sorry to hear that you don't get holidays off! Don't they rotate schedules so that the same people don't work all of the holidays?

It's all senority based, which really sucks for me. Until we start growing again, or a bunch of people retire, I'm stuck working most weekends and most holidays. Anyway, I get to dive midweek when the boats aren't as crowded (here anyway).

I'm glad to hear a business owner giving their employees time with family. I did the same when I owned a flight school in the Midwest.

Christi:
Well said Angie!

The truth is that my guys would be responsible if they knew they had a trip the next morning, and would not be hungover, but I am choosing to give them the day off and allow them to have a break and enjoy themselves. They deserve it! I don't make them work Christmas Day either...

Hey Christi! I'm glad you posted because I truthfully l didn't mean to imply that ALL the DM's and captains on the island will be out getting wasted New Year's Eve. Of course there are many responsible people who would show up to work on what is technically a holiday if they were scheduled to work. But kudos to you for giving your employees the day off--everyone should have a boss like you! :)

cxg31s:
Hey Christi! I'm glad you posted because I truthfully l didn't mean to imply that ALL the DM's and captains on the island will be out getting wasted New Year's Eve. Of course there are many responsible people who would show up to work on what is technically a holiday if they were scheduled to work. But kudos to you for giving your employees the day off--everyone should have a boss like you! :)

Oh yeh...I knew you didn't mean that, but it was a very good point. Because as we all know, there are many divemasters and captains who do like to indulge in adult beverages on occasion (or regularly).

I have a great crew and I treat them with respect like they deserve...that's all!

I need to get cuaght up with you, so I'll shoot you an e-mail SOON!

Christi:
Oh yeh...I knew you didn't mean that, but it was a very good point. Because as we all know, there are many divemasters and captains who do like to indulge in adult beverages on occasion (or regularly).

I have a great crew and I treat them with respect like they deserve...that's all!

I need to get cuaght up with you, so I'll shoot you an e-mail SOON!

You read my mind because I just sent you an email! It's been too long girl--stop working and write once in a while, will ya? :wink:

You may have to start thinking about a shore dive. Some people even do a new years eve midnight dive, at least locally they do, so they can start the new year off right, underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom