Question December Port Closures & Dive Op

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bdyslm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
At the moment I am chatting via email with Aldora as they have some more unique dives that I am interested in and seem to be geared toward more serious divers. Specifically their Aldora Adventure package, Lion Fish hunting, and blackwater dives. While I'm not snooty about it, I'd prefer to go with an op and other divers that are more serious about it rather than casual divers that dive a time or every year or two and have them bashing into me and the coral. Drives me nuts. :D

I haven't done a full-on forum search on other ops that may be geared toward what I'm looking for, so if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, feel free to suggest it. Otherwise, I will continue my research. I would like to do a cenote dive excursion and a bull shark dive excursion to PDC, which Aldora doesn't offer.

In my communications with Aldora they mention booking specific days/itineraries can be challenging because of possible port closures due to winds/Norte. My question is, in everyone's experience, how often does that actually happen from mid-December to the beginning of January? Please don't respond with "weather is unpredictable, you just never know". I get that. I'm trying to figure out based on past experiences what is the likelihood....how many of your days were blown out..etc. How many of your anticipated dives did you actually get to do?

Part of the reason is that I am trying to book three morning activities other than diving. Josefina's cooking class, San Gervasio, and a Temazcal. Some of them are only available on specific days, require advanced booking, and would require me to miss morning diving and do afternoon diving in order to still get dives on that day.

TIA

It’s a crap shoot. Last year in November the port was shut down for something like 12 days and so far this year only 1 (for rain bands from a minimal hurricanes hundreds of miles south that I still don’t agree with) and the winds look good for at least the next 10 days.
I have seen several years with frequent closures in December and January and a lot of years with none. During this time of the year hurricanes and named storms are minimal. Of primary concern is the dreaded ‘El Norte’, which is northern front moving down from the northern plains. One of the best tools is Windguru or wind finder which projects the winds out 10 days, the farther out the data is less reliable. Another excellent tool is the Windy app, it gives a 7 day animation that is world map based. Bad news is when you see a strong northern front from Canada / upper plains into Northern Texas, that’s about 3 days out.
A wind from due north or anything west of north above 10 Kts is not good.

There are many ops that allow lion fish hunting provided you are not a menace to the reef, when looking around just be forthright and ask. That being said the lion fish population in Cozumel is pretty lean, the week before last I barely got 20 (cerviche on the boat tomorrow) and this morning 1 little dink at 140’.

In Dec 2020 we had a few days where it got blown out but it's just a day to eat, drink and read a book. Aldora is pretty easy as it goes. While I do pre-book days if it's blown out I just go on days I didn't plan on going. Never had them say no, in fact there is a little "pressure" to dive when I didn't feel like it. So take that for what it's worth.
In 2019 and 2018 I don't remember any days blown out but it's a while back. There were a few days where it was a little bumpy and COLD. But the nice days...ahhhhhhhh makes up for the not so nice ones.

I am trying to book three morning activities other than diving. Josefina's cooking class, San Gervasio, and a Temazcal.
Move San Gervasio plans to any afternoon or if you do get blown out one morning, then go. It doesn't take much planning nor time.
I would like to do a cenote dive excursion and a bull shark dive excursion to PDC, which Aldora doesn't offer.
For those, you'd do well to plan to relocate to the mainland for that part of your stay. Perhaps fly into Cozumel and return from Cancun.

Like @gopbroek stated - the weather is a crap shoot that time of year. I think the 'risk' varies depending on how long you will be on the island. For a 1-week vacation I believe you are at high risk of losing a dive day or two, if staying a couple of weeks missing a couple days of diving doesn't have the same impact. The weather may also be a factor if you have beach-lovers since many times the weather is okay for diving but a little wet and chilly for laying on the beach or pool. Keep in mind that IF the port closes all those divers that missed a dive day will be attempting to get on the (full) dive boat as soon as the port opens. You will be there in the high season so rescheduling can be a PITA. I suggest booking all the days you hope/want to dive and be flexible for taking whatever opens up after a port closure.

I don't usually dive with Aldora but there are many DiveOps that offer what you describe as "serious" diving. Any reputable dive shop will match you up with divers of similar skill level based on your demonstrated diving skill after your first day with the divemaster. It doesn't matter if you only have an OW or a hundred certs (btw - I don't think anybody really gives squat about how many certs a diver has).

Very few DiveOps cross the channel for the Bulls b/c the condition are very unpredictable. On a good day it takes approx 30 min but 'most' of the time the channel is rough and can take MUCH longer. You might want to consider spending a night on the mainland to do the Bulls & Cenote diving or plan for a long day via ferries & travel on the mainland.

Based upon your profile it looks like you are fairly new to diving and to Cozumel. You might be attempting to cram too many things into your trip. I don't know how long you are staying but the Marine park has plenty to offer for weeks of diving.

I have been to Cozumel in Dec/Jan and have never been blown out during those visits. I have been blown out during Thanksgiving week, however. There used to be a sticky on the Cozumel forum with the average number of port closures for each month, but it no longer exists. IIRC, it showed that port closures were rare regardless of the time of year. A good dive op is not going to promise you specific locations far in advance because the conditions do change daily. Also, Aldora will want to see you dive before they book you on a specialty dive up north.

Just book the dives and activities you want to do and hope for the best. A day trip for a cenotes trip is very doable and fun if you do not mind an early start to get on an early ferry. Book that well in advance. I recommend a side trip to the ruins in Tulum after diving. Keep in mind that the fewer non-diving activities you commit to, the more flexible your dive schedule becomes to deal with closures and just the weather in general. It all depends on your priorities.

I like Aldora, but as mentioned above, they are not the only op that has plenty of clientele who are good divers. A good op will group you with divers of similar skills and abilities. If your profile is accurate, then you will likely start out with other divers who have fewer than 100 dives, as well. If it is clear to the DMs that you should be on a boat with more experienced divers, you will probably be moved.

Have a great trip.

... Specifically their Aldora Adventure package, Lion Fish hunting, and blackwater dives. While I'm not snooty about it, I'd prefer to go with an op and other divers that are more serious about it rather than casual divers that dive a time or every year or two and have them bashing into me and the coral. Drives me nuts. :D
As a Aldora fan (probably 200 + dives with them) I will try to clarify.
Aldora adventure is a 3 tank dive that goes North of the Island, Way North. No other dive boats go to these sites. Not on any map. You will need to prove your skills before allowed to go by doing a reqular dive trip (the 1st day dive boat trip). You wil be need to have a SMB or they. will issue one. You will be given a Nautilus rescue transmitter because if you get separated they need to find you. Additionally they need to plan that trip. They need a 4 diver minimum PLUS favorable winds (very light winds since you will be essentially in open ocean). They use there open sea capable boat (bigger than a typical 6 pack with a closed front). Because of the wind factor and diver min, they look at the forcast for that week and try to determine what day they can do it. They let all there dive masters know and solicit divers for that day on their 6 (7?) dive boats drumming the 4 diver min.

Lion Fish hunt. This is easier to schedule since alot of interest. It is done out of the marine park, North area (no where as far North as Adventure). The wind is not critical like Adventure.

Black Water. Never done it. I would asume it would require a min # of divers interested in that type of dive.

I would recommend that you have or signup for Nitrox certification when you get there. You can start using Nitrox on 1st day if you signup for class when you check in. They will give you a book and you go over material during SI. No classroom work. Most advanced divers use Nitrox with Aldora since they use 120 cf tanks and the advance boats go deep, longer.

Also, they have 6 (7?) boats. They group you with similar diver skills, air consumption, and Nitrox use or not. They use the 411 you provide in reservations sheet to help schedule your boat, but they don't take your word when scheduling adventure dive, they need to eval your skill. We only put a min deposit (100 for 2 people) for a week of diving. They offer 10% cash discount that we take advantage. If you don't do nitrox, you are on an air only boat and that usually has less serious divers. They eval 1st day diving your skills (or lack) may determine what boats you are on the rest of week. It is not uncommon to move between groups especially if you are going to do specialty dives. If you are unhappy with your group let the dive shop know and they will accomodate.

No other dive boats go to these sites.

That is a very false statement.

Nortes are a hit or misss thing - we all hate them but we can't control or predict them more than a handfull of days out so we just live with them. Most times they are short lived but they can be days long.... The odds of Nortes are greatest in December thru February - there used to be a sticky post where Christi tracked them over the years,

Some extended distance dive sites are very much effected by weather and wind direction and really hard to spot on say this day or that day more than 5 days out - it doesn't take a norte to say we ain't going to Maricaibo today.... I know more than a few people that have made the trip to dive the Oriskany only to have the trip cancelled due to weather.

Many ops do or allow lionfish hunting, I would hope that most vet the divers before allowing it in the park but there are many great dive sites outside the park also - as said, the lionfish population has thinned a little in recreational depths...

Advanced dive sites here are about a few things - listen and follow directions, good dive skills and good air consumption. Someone should be vetting you a bit at first before letting it hang out at Baracudda - don't take offense to it - everyone wants a great dive and safety.

Come have fun, you can't change the weather, bring some patience with you!!!!!!

At the moment I am chatting via email with Aldora as they have some more unique dives that I am interested in and seem to be geared toward more serious divers. Specifically their Aldora Adventure package, Lion Fish hunting, and blackwater dives. While I'm not snooty about it, I'd prefer to go with an op and other divers that are more serious about it rather than casual divers that dive a time or every year or two and have them bashing into me and the coral. Drives me nuts. :D

I haven't done a full-on forum search on other ops that may be geared toward what I'm looking for, so if anyone has any recommendations based on the above, feel free to suggest it. Otherwise, I will continue my research. I would like to do a cenote dive excursion and a bull shark dive excursion to PDC, which Aldora doesn't offer.

In my communications with Aldora they mention booking specific days/itineraries can be challenging because of possible port closures due to winds/Norte. My question is, in everyone's experience, how often does that actually happen from mid-December to the beginning of January? Please don't respond with "weather is unpredictable, you just never know". I get that. I'm trying to figure out based on past experiences what is the likelihood....how many of your days were blown out..etc. How many of your anticipated dives did you actually get to do?

Part of the reason is that I am trying to book three morning activities other than diving. Josefina's cooking class, San Gervasio, and a Temazcal. Some of them are only available on specific days, require advanced booking, and would require me to miss morning diving and do afternoon diving in order to still get dives on that day.

TIA
A couple of things...

Just because someone does not get to dive as often as you, that doesn't mean they are bad divers and will be crashing into the reef and you. You say that you aren't "snooty" about it but that sounds a bit that way to me.

Although it apparently isn't what you want to hear, the truth is that the weather is indeed unpredictable weeks ahead of time in the winter months. You pays your money and you takes your chances. What happened last year has no bearing on what will happen this winter.

Back
Top Bottom