JANUARY 2006 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ancient Sea Cliffs 01-28-06

Info:
Clear skies, slight overcast in early AM, sunny by late morning
6’ high tide near 0900 hrs, dropping to a 2.5’ tide by 1330 hrs.
4’-5’ swells of and on throughout the day
Visibility hovered on the edge of 15’
Temperature at depth was 51 degrees for both dives
Dive 1, max depth of 98’ for 41 minutes
Dive 2, max depth of 89’ for 48 minutes

Complete photos at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v116/krowsea/Ancient Sea Cliffs/

The Report:
Terry, Tyler and I decided to try the Ancient Sea Cliffs again, this time with different and hopefully better, GPS coordinates. We were leaving Shelter Island shortly after 0800 hrs. The Ancient Sea Cliffs are close to the tip of Point Loma near the 100’ contour line, so in short order we were at our waypoint and dropping anchor. Our gear was assembled before we left the dock, and as we were already in our drysuits, we wasted no time in leaping recklessly from the swim step and heading down the anchor chain.

Following the chain to its terminus at the anchor, we first dropped into 100’ below the Glenna Jane, then headed upslope to check the anchor set at 70’. The water was cold and greenishly murky, but not bad overall. We didn’t find the cliffs we were hoping for, but the bottom is an interesting slope littered with large boulders, rock outcroppings and the occasional kelp patch. Barred Sand Bass and Blacksmiths greeted our arrival on the bottom, soon followed by a variety of colorful Rockfish and several large male Sheephead.

We saw a couple of very large Abalone chill’n on the bottom, mixing it up with Urchins and varieties of Sea Cucumbers. A cornucopia of Starfish arranged themselves attractively across the bottom, while a closer inspection revealed various nudibranchs and curious shrimp. Thankfully the surface swells didn’t find their way to the bottom, so we explored in relative harmony, poking into hidey holes and peering around kelp. Knowing we had to head down slope to follow the chain back to the boat, we headed back a little early to keep our computers happy.

Breaking the surface we saw the sun was burning in all its glory above, while the swells had died down somewhat, although they and a mild south running current would greet us for our second dive. Stripping down our drysuits, we fired up the BBQ to grill a few hotdogs and polish sausages for the surface interval. Grilling hotdogs on a BBQ while the boat pitches back and forth under you is kind of like an arcade game. Reaching with the tongs, I found myself grasping thin air as the beautifully done dogs escaped my grasp by rolling to port or starboard, depending on the swell. Using my head for something more than a hat rack, I lured the wayward pups into the bun by fainting port and grabbing starboard. They obviously didn’t know the cunning chef they were dealing with.

After lunch, we relaxed lazily on the foredeck, the warm sun fighting us in its attempt to lure us to sleep, before we geared up again and leapt back into the water. This time, we went shallower before hitting bottom, deciding to explore around 80’ or so. This was actually a better decision, as the life was more abundant and the bottom structure more interesting. I had camera/battery issues on our first dive, so I tried to make up for lost time by photographing just about anything and everything. We all had much better success than last weeks surgy New Hope Rock.

We saw much the same life as earlier, just in greater number. There is quite a bit to explore here, so hopefully we can come back again. With all our poking around and exploring, we never really went that far from the chain. Next time, we’ll either have to not take any pictures until we’re quite a bit farther from the chain, or do both dives at this depth. It’s hard to pass on all the diversity though. Back on board, we pulled the anchor back up (don’t ask, its not a pretty story) J then headed back to port, passing an outbound Carnival Spirit cruise ship in the channel. We were back at dock, lines tied, beers in hand and yukking it up before we knew it.

John A.

asc001.jpg

asc004.jpg

asc007.jpg

asc014.jpg

asc015.jpg

asc023.jpg

asc025.jpg

Date: Jan 28, 2006
Dive Location: Anacapa Island, Cat Rock
Boat: The Peace out of Ventura
Time: 9:33 am
Bottom Time: 46:20
Max Depth: 59 ft
Vis: 20-30 ft.
Wave height: small wind swell
Temp at depth: 57 degrees Suunto
Surface Temp: 59 air, 54 water
Tide Information: Dunno...
Air mix: Nitrox 36%
Current: Nil

Dive Location: Anacapa Island, Cathedral Gardens
Time: 12:12 am
Bottom Time: 51:20
Max Depth: 36 ft
Vis: 20-30 ft.
Temp at depth: 54 degrees Suunto
Surface Temp: 64 air, 54 water
Air mix: Nitrox 34%
Current: Fairly high

Dive Location: Anacapa Island, The Channels
Time: 2:25 pm
Bottom Time: 42:00
Max Depth: 34 ft
Vis: 15-20 ft.
Temp at depth: 54 degrees Suunto
Surface Temp: 63 air, 54 water
Air mix: Nitrox 34%
Current: Nil

Headed up to Ventura on Friday afternoon. Stopped at the Peace Dive Center a few miles from the harbor, and got my empty air tank filled with nitrox 36%. BTW, for you nitrox divers, Peace does not fill O2 clean tanks, and the boat only does 32% fills. The girl who was helping me (sorry, forgot her name&#8230:wink: was very nice and very helpful. I also finally broke down and picked up a slick O2 analyzer to analyze my nitrox fills, and then headed down to the harbor. Walked across the street and checked out the ocean, then wandered over to the boat yard to watch them hauling a large (maybe 45 ft. long) fishing boat on one of them Travelifts, and lowering it maybe 30ft. down into the water. Pretty cool. Also saw the Truth out of Santa Barbara up on blocks getting a new paint job. And the 11,500 HP Gentry Eagle (http://www.gentryeagle.com/page2.html ) was sitting at the dock after a recent overhaul. Very groovy James Bond-looking transatlantic racing boat. The image below shows the Gentry Eagle on a Travelift (from the Ventura boat dock website).

The crew opened up the boat for boarding early (around 7pm), I saw LAJim and his wife, then I grabbed one of the few large single bunks :D and stowed my gear, and we headed over to Milanos to get some grub. Other SB’ers filtered in, including Headhunter, Kevfin, and TeqP. After a nice pizza dinner, and some BS’ing in the galley, I finally hit it at around 11pm. Got up around 6am, just as the boat was starting to fill up with the rest of the divers. The engines rumbled to life at 7, and we were off on my first trip to Anacapa ( http://www.saintbrendan.com/cdnfeb02/NChIsl2.html
). Gorgeous sunrise as we left the dock. The trip over was smooth as glass :D , and after about an hour and 45 minutes we pulled into a nice spot on the southwest end of the island called Cat Rock (see map at bottom of above link).

At the Cat Rock site the boat was anchored on a nice reef, and the dive was over sand and reef in about 40-60 ft. of water. My Suunto shows that the water was about 54 degrees, which is just about the temp that I start feeling a bit chilly in my wetsuit. Kevfin and I buddied up, and dropped down with TeqP and Rickster. We cruised around the reef, doing lazy circles trying to find additional structure off in the hazy distance, and after about 40 minutes headed up to the boat. With the cool wind on the surface, it was one of those days that made us wetsuit folks start thinking about a drysuit.

Next we pulled up anchor and took a 25 minute trip around to Cathedral Gardens on the Northeast side of the island. There was a bit of current here (you could see the kelp going almost horizontal), so we dropped down off the port side, then let the current take us over to the anchor line, and we descended by pulling hand over hand down the anchor line for about 50 yards. Once up against the rocky shore the current dropped to almost nothing, so we slowly wound our way to the east so we could ride the current back to the line. During our dive we were continually dive bombed by a pack of 8-10 renegade sea lions. It was a blast. When you’re cruising along leisurely and suddenly you see sheephead and kelp bass shooting off in all directions, you know there’s somethin’ a-coming. We had sea lions come at us head-on, slam on the breaks, and blow bubbles at us, then shoot off like a rocket. Recently Myrna and I saw a show on PBS where sea lions in the Antarctic would swim up under the ice, and blow bubbles up into little crevices in the ice to dislodge little shrimp and stuff. So we deduced that these sea lions thought Kevfin and I were shrimp. Since this site is in a game preserve, there were also tons of lobsters all over the place. In one dark area under a rock ledge about 8 feet wide there were probably 30 lobsters stacked 4 layers on top of each other. Just incredible. On the way back we did another hand-over-hand along the anchor line, waving like flags in the wind as the current swept past us, and jumped on board for some vegetable lasagna lunch. Good stuff.

For the last set of dives we pulled up anchor and took another 25 minute trip back to an area next to Cat Rock called “The Channels” (see map in the link above). The current here was almost nil, and this was a very shallow dive right up against the cliffs. The structure was incredible and varied. First sand, then a barren moonscape with lots of urchins, then you see this darkness in the distance and glide into it. Suddenly we were enclosed in what looked and felt exactly like a hazy forest, with rocks and boulders covered with moss, the kelp canopy darkening the whole area, and the fine particulates in the water looked like a light fog. Very strange, and very cool. It’s the first time while diving that my mind almost convinced me that I was on land, not in the water. On the way back I misjudged the light current that was carrying us, and we overshot the anchor line by about 80-100 yards. We surfaced, and I quickly switched into ADP mode and started pumping towards the boat, practicing the surface kelp crawl. (Note to self: Next time, listen to Kevfin… :D ) Anyway, the boat was running a bit late, so a bunch of us decided not to sneak in a short fourth dive, but instead warmed up. After final roll call we sucked down peach cobbler and ice cream, and the boat headed back on a nice calm ride back to Ventura, with an absolutely spectacular sunset.

This was my first time on the Peace, and the crew was the best I’ve experienced. Eric, Bob, Trish (the incredible chef), and Steve were all wonderful ( http://www.peaceboat.com/about.htm ). And it was great to finally meet some of the new Scubaboarders (Wetrat, Mark99, Scvdiver, SLOfrog, and all the others whose handles I've already forgotten...). And thanks to Kevfin for doing that buddy thing so well.

And most of all, many many thanks to Christian for doing all the heavy lifting in putting this together and making it such a success. Dude, you are definitely the man.

It was a total coincidence that my buddies and I booked the Peace on a Scubaboarder day, and it was nice meeting some of you. Great boat, great food, but 4 hour-long dives at 54 degrees in a wetsuit is painful. :crying: Thank goodness for the jacuzzi and the cobbler to finish things off. Had a great time yesterday.

Cheers :cheers:
Kevin
(guy with beard drinking red wine Friday night)

Great dive report mccabejc (Jim), and it was a pleasure to meet you in person! We had almost identical dive profiles. I buddied up with Neophyte (Adam) on all three of my dives - seems he isn't such a neophyte anymore! The two of us teamed up with Kilroy (Mike McC) and Mark99. The highlight of the trip for me was definitely the sealions on the second dive! There were several tumbling around us, doing barrel rolls and zipping by like torpedoes. They were up to all their tricks, swimming straight toward us, barking bubbles, and veering off at the last minute. I even had a stare-down with one of them! The second dive was also in a preserve - seriously, I've never seen so many bugs on a dive. There were legal bugs literally stacked on top of each other in some spots. On the third dive, I saw my first sunflower star, which was about 2 feet in diamater - Adam counted twenty arms on that sucker.

I tried to make the rounds and meet everyone - had some great laughs with Kevfin, Rickster, headhunter, TeqP, Veek, scvdiver and scubacalifornia. Got to meet Mo2vation, who was totally cool, and had a submersible photography studio with him. Got a hug or two from HBDiveGirl (OK maybe that was the highlight of the trip, lol!!) I tried to figure out who everyone else was - LAJim you mystify me! I wanted to ask you questions about your titanium spine but I couldn't figure out who you were, lol!! Looks like I also missed meeting SLOFrog and aeonokea, dangit!!

Christian - thanks again for all your hard work on these dives - you definitely ARE the man!! :D

Very nice report Jim. It was nice to put a face with some of these names, LAJim, Wetrat, Kevfin, aeonokea, SLOfrog, neophyte. Thanks to Christian for a great start to 2006 boat diving. I'm looking forward to the rest of the year. Just hope the water gets a little warmer or Santa finally delivers my drysuit next week:D (Like that's going to happen).

I went to Anacapa on the Peace last year and it is very nice to see that some things don't change over time. Great crew, food and boat. They have a plaque in their galley that says something to the effect of, 'We're not the biggest, or fastest, but we work the hardest'. I definitely agree and hope we can work with them for next year's boat schedule.

Thanks to HBDivegirl, headhunter, Mo2vation and Neophyte for a nice relaxing dinner and the great company. Here are a few pictures from the dive trip.

See ya in the water,
Phil

nudi.jpg

anemone.jpg

sculpin.jpg

sunset.jpg

It was a great trip. I made the first three dives with Judy. She sat out number 4 and I paired with Veek for a down-current tour of the Channels. I've had sea lions chase me around on a lot of Anacapa dives, but for the first time ever we had harbor seals play with us. Busting back up the current was a good workout at the end of the dive.

I thought the Peace boat was great value. It was a quiet sleep with no drunks coming on board at 3 am. The food was good enough for an up-scale bistro, especially the killer onion soup after the first dive. The crew was numberous and fantastic. When I blew an o-ring before the second dive, Bob tore into my reg when it turned out to have another problem and saved the dive for me.

The SBers were all great. Wetrat I was looking for you too. I think I figured our who you were on the way back in but I was tired by then. Thanks Headhunter for a job very well done. Look forward to more boat and beach diving with the group.

One technical note. I bought a BP/W right before the trip. DiveRite Transplate with Rec Wings and a Halcyon STA (single tank adapter). Didn't have time to try it in the pool so I had my BC stashed on board in case I needed it. I put the Halcyon STA on the rig because I plan to eventually try doubles on it and I like the idea of a clean switch out and also because I liked the heavy duty metal clamps on the tank straps. They work great.

I dropped six pounds immediately because of the SS back plate. My trim was immediately vastly improved with the BP/W. The rig is much tighter than a BC and I am much more maneuverable underwater and greatly streamlined. Air consumption also improved and I got on the boat with 500 to 1000 psi more than both of the people I dove with when Judy usually matches me and Veek is usually even when she has an 80 and I'm in my 100.

I would tell the story about loosing the 5 lb wt. on one side of the harness at some point and not noticing it until halfway through the fourth dive, but it sounds pretty implausible. I went the entire day without putting air in the wing except at the surface.

With a steel tank and SS backplate, most of your weight is evenly distributed and trim is great. Anyhow, that is what I learned. That and dive with SBers and on the Peace boat. Also don't fish in the game preserve.

Jim

What can I say? This is what diving in Socal in the winter months is about. And to top it off, what more could a diver ask for, the best company, food, getting some dives in, and memories that will last a life time.

I want to thank Teqp for being the best buddy a guy could have. Thanks to Christian for organizing this event. (and I am looking forward to many more) Thanks to mccabejc, Kevfin, Wetrat, Mark99, Scvdiver, SLOfrog, Veek, LAJim and Judy, aeonokea, HBDivegirl, Mo2vation, Neophyte, and all the others on the boat. The crew of the Peace are #1 and the food, the food, wow! And a special thanks to Eric Owner/Captain for an excellent job.

Oh yea, I almost forgot to tell you, Christian, next time you do a pole dance, please wait until I am outside, and can't see it.:D

Rickster:
Oh yea, I almost forgot to tell you, Christian, next time you do a pole dance, please wait until I am outside, and can't see it.:D
I just feel bad about all those dollar bills you gave me! When is your next payday? :11:

Christian

Re: Peace Boat Trip ---
As Wetrat said, "Great dive report mccabejc (Jim)! We had almost identical dive profiles."
My sentiments match what everyone else has said. Nothing more to add, just wanted people to know I felt the same.
Jim, thanks for taking pity on me and letting me dive with you.
You guys are the best! Look forward to the next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom