January water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In January you should wear a 3/2 at the minimun. Temperatures will be from 75 to 77 but can be colder on shallow dives with a outgoing tide.

A couple of years ago we dove in San Salvador in January. Water temps were around 72. I only had a 3mm full suit and 2mm vest and beanie, and I ended every dive shivering. I bought a 5mm suit as soon as I got home!

Where in the Bahamas?

Unless you are a polar bear, I don't think that will be enough exposure protection. Remember that the Bahamas is in the sub-tropical Atlantic, not the Caribbean. We're warmer than a lot of the Atlantic but it is still the Atlantic.

Better to err on the side of caution and bring/rent more rubber. Cold divers are not happy divers!:coffee:

Did not mean to hijack this thread. FYI I have now purchased a full 3mm for my Dec Bahamas and now also Miami Beach dives. Thanks for the heads up from everyone!

I just returned from a week on Blackbeard's in the Bahamas, Dec 5-11. I called their office in FL before, and they recommended at least a 5mm. I brought my 5.5mm full and hooded vest, but after a couple of days I was just diving with just the vest without wearing the hood. The water temperature was was 80-84 degrees. If I had brought my 3mm full, i would have worn it for all of the days.

I will be in Nassau for a couple of days at the end of January and am a real wuss when it comes to the cold. In 78 degrees I need a 5mil and in 80 degrees a 3mil. Read reports of the temps going as low as 68 during the winter. I am planning on bring a 6mm but am wondering now if I should bring my dry suit - Is a dry suit total overkill????

Thanks

Craig

I will be in Nassau for a couple of days at the end of January and am a real wuss when it comes to the cold. In 78 degrees I need a 5mil and in 80 degrees a 3mil. Read reports of the temps going as low as 68 during the winter. I am planning on bring a 6mm but am wondering now if I should bring my dry suit - Is a dry suit total overkill????

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig,

I'm in Andros and the coldest it got last year was 71.

6mm with a hood should be enough but if you are really worried about it, bring your drysuit. Being comfortable is the most important thing. It's no fun diving cold!:)

Back
Top Bottom