January water temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fastro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at doing a weeks' worth of diving in early January and I wondered if anyone had an idea of what the water temperature usually is? I tried doing a google search and could only find current temps. I am wondering if a 3 mil is going to be enough for multiple dives. Thanks!

I was out today for two tanks this afternoon in a 2/3mm and froze. There was at least one guy in shorts and T, most were wearing Coves GI 5mm, a couple of serious divers were in 7mm and 10mm suits. General opinion was we ALL could have stood being warmer.

It'd depend greatly on you're build and personal "insulation" and very much on your tolerance for the chill as to whether a suit that thin would do.

Also, today, the water wasn't actually the coldest bit, the surface interval and the ride back were the most uncomfortable. You'd do well to bring a large towel or perhaps a windproof jacket (or maybe both, today was dry and bright, January needn't be.)

I've looked at your profile (50-100 dives) and i hope i'm not "teaching gran to chew cheese" when i point out the difference in buoyancy of thicker suits. I go from 4Lbs to sink me in a 2/3mm to 16Lbs in a 5mm. It wrecks your buoyancy and trim and totally alters your usage of your BCD auto inflator and makes you feel heavy as a small Sub!!.
I bloody hate this time of year and the need to thicken up the neoprene! But it's beats the alternative........... No diving? Sod that!:wink:

The water temp today was about 79 and it should be about 70 by mid February. So January will fall somewhere in the middle, probably towards the cooler end. Last year I was wearing a 5mm full suit over a 3mm full suit and a 1.5mm hooded vest. Right now I'm wearing a 5mm and 6/4 hooded vest. Staff will be wearing between 5mm and 10mm that time of the year, some in semi-dries.

Like Dan said, its not the water temp nearly as much as the surface interval. Windbreaker would be highly recommended.

And Dan-
Missed you at the dock today, but saw Pete's shot of you. And there is one really great alternative to thickening neoprene: drysuit.

Hey Al.
Three guesses what Santa's tring NOT to get stuck in the chimney this year?

Poseidon Diving Systems - Dry Suits

I've Ebay'd the TNG TECHNICA model, it was that or try to get the beer gut to cover me head to toe. Mmmmm......Toasty! (Hic!)

Ho Ho Ho!

The dive instructors on my dock wear 8/7mm semi dry wetsuits to stay warm.

Of course, once the water drops below 82, the full wetsuits come out. We're wusses.:D

Depending on where you are diving (my resort is on the windward side of the island) but the windchill is what is going to get you. Make sure to bring dry clothes and maybe a beanie so you can get out of your wetsuit and dry off. You'll be much happier for it.

Thanks for the info. I dive in a lot of different locations and have used 3mm, 7mm, and drysuit. I will be on Blackbeards for a week of diving and trying to decide if I want to purchase a 5 mm or maybe a 3 mm shorty to go under my full 3 mm. I want to be able to move without all of the neoprene but at the same time I would like to stay warm for the 20+ dives. I am typically comfortable in a 7 mm down to 60 but that is only for 2 dives and not multiple days of multiple dives.

I am doing my first dives in the Bahamas in December. I was planning on just bringing my 2mm shorty...but you guys are starting to scare me lol

I dove today with a 3 mm and was quite comfortable. Water temp was 79 degrees and air temp 82 according to my computer. I dove here in mid January in 2007 and that was a different story. I looked back at my files and water temp was 69 degrees. I dove with a 3 mm and remember being a little cold. Air temp was about 74 degrees. Also I have that Jan 11 the waves were so high no one went out except for in the bay. I remember coming in on the cruise ship and the ship ride was so rough that they were unable to have the stage show, no one could stand up on the stage.

I am doing my first dives in the Bahamas in December. I was planning on just bringing my 2mm shorty...but you guys are starting to scare me lol

Where in the Bahamas?

Unless you are a polar bear, I don't think that will be enough exposure protection. Remember that the Bahamas is in the sub-tropical Atlantic, not the Caribbean. We're warmer than a lot of the Atlantic but it is still the Atlantic.

Better to err on the side of caution and bring/rent more rubber. Cold divers are not happy divers!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom