Japanese residents: Dive insurance

Japanese residents: who is your diving insurance with?

• No dive insurance

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • PADI Japan

• PADI other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DAN Japan

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • DAN Europe

• DAU USA

• DAN Asia Pacific

• NAUI / AIU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK - for people currently living in Japan only. My first poll and let's see if it works...

The poll works!

As an instructor and 'world-wide diver' I have several insurances for various purposes but I selected DAN Japan as that is my 'diver' emergency insurance.

Maybe I should have added another option for instructors who are covered wherever they dive, be it Japan, Europe, ocean, lakes, caves onsens or a bathtub :)

jagfish:
I have a multitude of insurances, PADI Japan, NAUI worldwide, DAN Japan
Interesting. Who would you want to get your medical bills paid for if you had an accident?

Hey everyone,

Complete n00b to the world of diving, but currently living in Japan (going on four years now)...

If you forgive the n00bish question, but aside from loss of equipment (like cameras) and unless I travel outside of the country to dive, I assume that insurance would cover any medical emergency that might occur while diving. If this is indeed the case, then why would I want to buy diving insurance if I have regular national health insurance to cover me, should anything go wrong? :confused:

Actually a good question!

... because DCI treatment and hospitalization is expensive even with most parts 70% covered by the National Health Insurance + the rescue/transportation itself may not be covered at all. Depending on treatment strategy and severity it may cost 300,000 to 2,000,000 yen of which you probably need to pay a 1/3 to 1/2 without an insurance.

Ahh! So this is top-up insurance to add onto your national health benefit to cover the 30% that you get hit for.... I suppose that if the bill would really run you as high as 3,000,000 (or even 30% of that which is still 90-man) it totally makes sense to be covered.

They say that the Japanese are the most insured people in the world... Ya never know what's going to happen, I suppose. :lightingz :spaninq:

This might be one of those rare instances where having top-up insurance is actually a good idea, especially if it's also going to cover your equipment and and diving trips you make outside of Japan..... Hmmm.

Not just outside Japan though. Let's say you get bent doing a dive out near Yonaguni. The nearest chamber is on Okinawa honto, about an hour and a half flight away, with planes leaving every other day. If you need immediate evacuation to the chamber, it's going to cost you a hell of a lot of money. It's nice to know that would be covered completely by your insurance provider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom