Jet Fin Spring Straps- Resurrected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrk:
I'm very interested in how you build these...especially the connection from spings to fins. Any chance I can get some details?

Thanks,
Randy Kight

Randy,
Thanks for the interest. Check out the first page of this thread for a closeup of the finished product. I'll try and describe the construction. The round pieces at the attachment point are made of 3/4" solid delrin (acetal) rod that you can buy at onlinemetals.com . Cut to 1" length and drilled longitudinally for a 1/8" machine bolt. I drilled a 1/2" hole perpendicular into the rod, just deep enough for the machine loop on the end of the spring to be captured by the 1/8" screw. The nylon stretch restrictor cord is looped on its ends and threaded through the inside of the spring. Before passing the 1/8" bolt through the delrin rod, the nylon loop is paired up with the spring loop to be captured, also. This is done on both ends of the spring as the strap is final assembled with the SS straps. I'll try and post some assembly pictures.

WD

Looks great. Have you ever tried this on Twin Jet fin?

What is the dimension of SS plate between the rod and the original hole of jet fin?
Can we use any stock sizee SS plate between two bolts?

Any inputs will be great for some people who doesn't have any tools except the drill?

Thanks in advance,

willydiver:
Plastic cable wrap is another option to cover the springs. Suprisingly, it grips the back of your boot fairly well.

For the Halcyon style tubular webbing, go to:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=1038&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&addon=610111-472006&ext_cat=REI_RELATED_ITEMS_PRODUCT_PAGE&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It's alot more durable than the cheaper kind you can buy at general outdoor shops. It's got a tighter weave and is more abrasion resistant.

WD

hoosier:
Looks great. Have you ever tried this on Twin Jet fin?

What is the dimension of SS plate between the rod and the original hole of jet fin?
Can we use any stock sizee SS plate between two bolts?

Any inputs will be great for some people who doesn't have any tools except the drill?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks Hoosier. I'm told the strap attachment is the same for the SP Twin Jets as it is with the Jets, like shown in the picture. I cut the SS plates from 1/16" thick SS fender washers. I think the fender washers had a 1/2" bolt hole. I bought them at Boaters World. Any large hardware store should have them. Another great supply of light gage stainless is the local "Dollar Store". Go buy a few SS spatulas for some great material. Buy the heavier gage ones if they have them. I don't recall the exact dimensions of the plates. For the hole spacing, I measured the distance between the hole in the delrin block and the attachment hole on the fin while I was pressing the delrin block in place. It is somewhere around 1" between the holes. I believe the straps are around 1/4" to 3/8" wide.

You'll need a hacksaw or some substantial tin snips to cut out the plates and a file to square them and smooth the edges. I did use a dremel type rotary tool for some of the cutting. Good luck and be sure to post a picture of your version.

WD

Here's mine...or atr least an earlier version of mine.
Also using hockey pucks.

springsb.jpg

grunzster:
Here's mine...or atr least an earlier version of mine.
Also using hockey pucks.

springsb.jpg

Nice work. I could never get the wire bent to my satisfaction. That's why I went with the strap attachment method. I ended up using the tubular webbing like you used, also.

WD

Thanks. I've actually made about 3 or 4 different versions now. These were the second ones I made. The wire I use Is a little thinner than what most manufacturers are using. It really Isn't too hard to bend, but still very strong (not a chance it will come free).

I ordered a pair on ebay a few months ago, before I realized how simple they are to build, and started making my own, and the wire on that pair was a huge PITA to bend.

The ones I'm using now actually use the SS plate and screw method for attaching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom