Jetfin Footpocket Drain Holes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
(a) This is the first time I've had fins with no drain holes in the footpocket. Haven't notice it to be a real problem so far but was curious:

How many of you put holes to assist draining your jetfins?

Do you drill or use a soldering tool to acheive this? A couple of holes in the middle enough or do you put one in each corner of the toe slot?

I can't imagine this weakening the strength of the fin - they look like they will survive nuclear war.

(b) I didn't bother removing the Jetfin metal clip, just attached the spring strap loop and cripped it around it, attached my line to prevent spring overextension. Is a single loop of metal sufficient? On my Aqua Lungs, this wasn't an issue so I'm in new territory...

Just changed from the Mares Quattro to the Jetfin and usually carry the fins by the spring straps. I have to make sure to dump the water first.

I was thinking of drilling a hole through the foot pocket at the bottom so the water to escape both directions. Haven't done it yet but as you say the "they look like they will survive nuclear war" and should be able to take a 1/4" - 5/16" hole in the bottom of the pocket.

I've seen the fact that they have no drain holes be a benefit. You take off your fins and exit the water, with your fins full of water. You trudge up to your car and get out your mat. You take the water in the fins and pour 'em on your boots to get the sand off that you tracked on your way up to your car.

I save the water in the foot pockets of my jet fins to rinse gear, especially the sand off my booties and feet.

Spectre wrote...
I've seen the fact that they have no drain holes be a benefit. You take off your fins and exit the water, with your fins full of water. You trudge up to your car and get out your mat. You take the water in the fins and pour 'em on your boots to get the sand off that you tracked on your way up to your car.
Excellent point, which I had already learned from a wise camel.

Spectre once bubbled...

"Elementary my dear Watson..." - why didn't I think of that! Most of my shore diving entails the ritual of filling a bucket of water and laying out my tarp. Maybe I can finally get rid of a piece of dive gear - my bucket. I'll give that a try. At the moment we have several feet of snow on top of our lake entries so I haven't needed the bucket yet! Tx Jeff!

Spectre, Your the man!

Now that makes sense to me, maybe I'll hold off on drilling those holes....

Wendy once bubbled...
I save the water in the foot pockets of my jet fins to rinse gear, especially the sand off my booties and feet.

Hey Wendy... any guesses where I might have learned the trick? :)

Jeff,

It's an easy enough trick to stumble onto yourself. It's also easy to pick up just watching other divers and it's been on this board (and others) more than once. Could have been about anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom