Jetski Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Remington

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
I'm a Dive Master currently in Tech Dive training. I hold the belief that dangerous things can be done safely. The reason I point this out is I often use a Black Tip DPV with a 133cf tank to do long distance shore dive, over a mile from shore, Solo. I carry a GPS beacon and other self reliance and redundant gear. I take expedition dive on the reef systems off north Fort Lauderdale, mostly and have mapped out awesome scuba trails. Some of these dives last nearly 4 hours. I've encountered a pair of Bull sharks and several Hammerheads. I kill Lionfish regularly and have fed them to five different species of sea life.
I have a second BT DPV being delivered this week. I also have two 117cf steel tanks. A harness and all gear needed for a dive partner interested in accompanying me one one of these extreme beach dives. For anyone interested, I'll send contact info.
However, my real intentions are to purchase a wave runner and use it for surface support to assist in pushing this activity to the limit. I'm not convinced that diving from a jetski is a bad idea. The way I see it: If people say it's a bad idea, then it's probably worth doing. I'm not sure if the wave runner would be operated by a friend solely for surface support as we DPV out to the third reef line; or if the DPVs and dive gear could be loaded up and carry us to dive sites?
I know a lot of people will say "just use a boat at that point". I say the hell with that. Let's try something new and get radical. Maybe it does prove impracticable. Who cares. It's an adventure just the same. Besides, I'm buying a damm big jetski either way. To me the possibilities are endless. If outfitted with a bottom finder and GPS devices, you could hot-drop and tie off to a wreak in Pompano shipwreck park. I suppose there's plenty of risk. And any expeditions should be planned accordingly.
Anyway, I'm pushing this direction with things to explore capabilities and opportunities. I'm open to criticism and expect much. All responses are welcome. Let me hear your thoughts fellow divers.

Your post would be much easier to read if you added an empty line between paragraphs. 😉

Your post would be much easier to read if you added an empty line between paragraphs. 😉
Your right. Sorry about that. If you think my post is painful to read you should check out my website for fortlauderdalescuballc.com .

I'm a terrible webmaster and it shows.

Just the same, what do you think of the Actual Content and Concepts I put forth?

Jetskis are routinely used to map coastal water bathymetric; nothing new here. Under the heading "personal watercraft" they do all kinds of things other than just zoom around irritating people. So I guess I don't see the novelty in what you are proposing. And, there are increasing number of places where you can't use them; see, for example, MBNMS Resource Management Issues: Motorized Personal Watercraft FAQ.

Thank you for the information and link.

I guess the "novelty" here would be to document what does and doesn't work with jetski scuba diving. I know it's been done before. But I want to explore further on the subject. Especially in the use of extreme beach dives. Many of these reefs are in less than 25 feet allowing for longer bottom time. This would be especially true if you didn't have to use your air supply while traveling by DPV out to the reefs. Not to mention battery drain.

Why a jetski? Do you need the speed? Why not a small RIB? Easier to stage from, cheaper.

Why a jetski? Do you need the speed? Why not a small RIB? Easier to stage from, cheaper.
Yeah.. my buddy has a small RIB for sale. And it probably is more practical.

However, I'm buying a wave runner anyway and though of getting dual purpose out of it. So, it may turn out that I buy both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom