Jetstream storage + or -?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
I asked this question some time ago-did what I was told(a first for me) and had some trouble. The story goes like this:

I went to Mexico on February and the reg. worked fine.

Last week I dove and when I turned on the air the reg. was not seating and air was blowing out like crazy.

I readjusted the second stage to make a little less sensitive by clockwise rotation of the little "stalk" that the pilot valve sits on. This moved the pilot valve futher from the diaphram. Everything was perfect.

I asked the local Poseidon dealership what happened and they said a couple of things could have happened:

1. You could have stored the reg. in the - position....store it in the +.

2. The tech could have forgotten to tighten down the allen screw that holds the little "stalk"(my words) in place. Over time, with use, the pilot valve migrated closer and closer to the diaphram.

I have been told by Poseidon and many techs to store the reg. in the + position. I have always done just that.

But, I asked a shop in England-SDSWatersports I think. And they said store it in the - position for this reason:

"Stored over a period of time the diaphram with warp if it is not supported in the - positoning. In the - position the small lever arm can support the diaphram and prevent any excessive warping of the silicon diaphram. Placing the reg. in the + will remove the support for the silicone diaphram and it will warp and move closer to the pilot valve. This will result in a poor seating and the reg. will be more prone to free flow.

I think Poseidon is a little confused on this matter.

I think the latter is what had occured.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Ever happened to anyone before?

Mike

I would call Trellborg Viking in the US since they took over the US distribution. They are delivering a standard of service that was lacking from the previous US distributor. Unfortunately, there are still dealers out there that while they carried a Poseidon regulator or two,,didnt devote the time to be knowledgable about the products.

.......well, I've done business with 4 Poseidon dealers (3 local/ 1 out-of-state) and they've ALL told me to always leave the 2nd stages in the "+" position...while diving and while in storage. The ONLY purpose for the "-" position is to temporarily 'detune' a 2nd stage in the event of a tendency to freeflow situation.....when I dive my primary 2nd stage is in the "+" position while I usually leave the 'octo' in the "-" position.....just to make it less sensitive.

A couple weeks ago one of my Poseidon dealers showed me how to adjust the cracking effort on the 2nd stage......and based on what I learned I'd bet your problem was caused by your 'theory #2'.

Karl

Yeah, store them in the plus...

I have four of them, and I have always stored them in the plus with no problems... been diving Poseidons for a while now too...

I always parked it in the + position....no problems....

never experienced warping...... I live in the tropics! hot and humid! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom