JJCCR and wetsuit diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reducing the total ballast is usually a good thing (as long as you're not under weighted, of course). However, a lighter plate *will* increase the leg-heavy condition.

Sort of. The OP indicated putting the bottles upright makes the valves "on the wrong side"
Yes, sounds confusing enough already that the OP might avoid it.

But while I haven't personally tried valves up with standard 3Ls on the JJ, I am pretty sure there would be a way to do so without anything changing sides or swapping valves. Seems as simple as just modifying some hose lengths?

Maybe someone else on here has tried it and can show pics or something? Seen some Poseidons were rigged valves up.

I have dove hundreds of hours on a JJ with a wetsuit, yes your right it is harder to stay in perfect trim then in a drysuit. But remember the JJ was designed to be dove in a drysuit, it is a deep sub 100m exploration/expedition unit. Just know that every unit on the market has it pros and cons and specific use and sorry with the JJ your not going to look like a Instagram model in Monkey Dust in perfect trim with a Sidewinder, this is why you will soon find out that often you need multiple units for different types of diving.

I see it says you just did your MOD1, I think the main thing is you just need to rack up more hours underwater. Play around with what others have mentioned as these are the standard go-too’s for a JJ and wetsuit diving but what will help you the most is getting underwater. I found that over time you kind of just “learn” how to trim out. Don’t really know how to describe it and its not something your going to learn by reading it online or in a book they only way is logging 50-100hr on the unit and you will soon realize that you are just diving the unit it trim subconsciously. Over time without even realizing it you will become a lot more proficient at diving in trim.

The only thing that I would also suggest that know one else mentioned is try diving with two bailouts (or even try diving with two S40’s over one S80). You would be surprised at how much front weight another first stage and valve makes you especially if it’s with an S40 and your stand dipping them.

Or you could just bite the bullet and get a drysuit. I see you mentioned your in the Philippines. I dive in Indonesia and Mexico (both very tropic and and hot just like Philippines) in a drysuit and love it. 4th element Xerotherms top and bottom are perfect. I will say diving dry with a JJ is like day and night over a wetsuit for your trim. For cave diving its a must, way to hard maintain perfect cave trim in a wetsuit.

Yes, sounds confusing enough already that the OP might avoid it.

But while I haven't personally tried valves up with standard 3Ls on the JJ, I am pretty sure there would be a way to do so without anything changing sides or swapping valves. Seems as simple as just modifying some hose lengths?

Maybe someone else on here has tried it and can show pics or something? Seen some Poseidons were rigged valves up.
i suspect this could be the reason since valves are heavy are already behind my waist? but can i invert them? using the smaller 3L tanks? they would be on the wrong side

You would swap bottle positions, but run the gases from the normal sides. O2 clean the old dil bottle (if it's not already) and fill with O2. Swap the knobs if the old O2 one is green.

You might time this transition when the cylinders are down for visual inspections.

Just invert them and screw your regs in. You don’t need to swap the tanks around. But as @bubblemonkey2 said your house length will be all screwed up.

You could also just switch to GUE config, this is very top heavy and trims out nice with a wetsuit.

Though I have never done just inverted dil and 02 have have dove inverted suit/wing inflate and inverted backup 02 many many times and all I did was take a regular dil tank and flip and and an 02 tank and flip it. No issues with the valves. (For those wonder why invert them and why so many onboards well I inverted them for the exact reason being discussed to not make the unit so butt heavy and this was for open ocean diving obviously cave the would be mounted regular to protect them. Why so many well when you have super hypoxia trimix as your dill you don't want to waste $ pumping that into your wing and defiantly not into your suit. And when your doing sub 160m you would be amazed at how much gas you use to fill your wing and suit so you need a 3L. Reason for the backup 02 is just that, its backup 02. Once your start going sub 160m you can't carry an O2 deco gas your relying on support divers for that. So you need a backup O2 source)

Multiple examples of different inverted setups I have dove.

1713823827821.jpeg

1713823685342.jpeg

1713823734761.jpeg

If you're a large and strong person, maybe consider the 'heavy' manifolded twinset dil monster config, as championed by GUE. Otherwise definitely not.

Albeit offtopic but: FFS, the GUE config simply aint that heavy. I am neither a CCR diver or a large and strong person, but I have slid out of my double 100’s and into a GUE rigged JJ and walked around for a bit - it’s simply not that arduous.

Just invert them and screw your regs in. You don’t need to swap the tanks around.
While true for inline valves, I don't think that is the case here. @LanceRiley?

Reducing the total ballast is usually a good thing (as long as you're not under weighted, of course). However, a lighter plate *will* increase the leg-heavy condition.
a lighter plate.. and moving some of the weights to the upper part of the body... overall same overall weight

While true for inline valves, I don't think that is the case here. @LanceRiley?

umm.... im still in TDI CCR Mod1.

before id wana go on in the ccr direction..

the trim really bothers me... id end up kneeling on the bottom without 3 lbs of lead in my left and right shoulder. I understand most are already further in my training... im still in the 1 3L Dil and 1 3L O2, valve down configuration in a wetsuit. with bailout on my left. drings.

im just looking for something cleaner. although it was mentioned a lighter backplate... aluminum / carbon etc. will it really shift my balance to heavy forward? instead of heavy rear?

Out of dozens of satisfied and trim JJ-CCR wetsuit divers, I have never seen one with cylinder valves flipped up. With one exeception: a GUE diver who struggled with being too head down. So much weight forward that the fins were way up and the ADV kept firing off. Not ideal!

Maybe try a 5mm suit and 5mm+ booties?

Out of dozens of satisfied and trim JJ-CCR wetsuit divers, I have never seen one with cylinder valves flipped up. With one exeception: a GUE diver who struggled with being too head down. So much weight forward that the fins were way up and the ADV kept firing off. Not ideal!

Maybe try a 5mm suit and 5mm+ booties?
just read the write up.. interesting... he had the tank valves up. and the use of the standard Halcyon 40 wing.

although his problem which he heads down.. can be fixed with heavy fins and and tail weights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom