Job Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonb347

Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, I just figured I'd reach out for some advice as every bit of it I've gotten here has been stellar. my fiance is about to graduate with her bs in marine science. she has taken or will be taking lots of specialty courses involving plankton, invertibrates, ecology, geology, etc. she has done undergraduate research in jamaica and produced a paper on artificial substrates. anyways, we live in CT and she is wondering where she should take her career. there isn't a lot of coastline or job opportunities she knows of without driving for hours. any assisstance or advice in the job search? other than move preferably? thanks.

good points ill have her check then out. also looking at woods hole as dr ballard works closely with mystic aquarium as well. mystic has some good internships might have to start there.

What's her focus? I don't know if this is true where you live but all the marine biologists I've known in the past found it nearly impossible to get a job as an actual marine biologist until they had their M.sc.

What might be possible is to get a job helping with someone else s research but that depends upon availability of grad students for those positions.

R..

To get a job in the field it really takes a lot of perserverence and experience in a professional environment. She can gain the latter through volunteer opportunities that often lead to full time work if they value her input. I'd recommend browsing job databases at local universities that offer marine science specialties including URI and Avery Point. Also try CT DEP, NOAA, Fish and Wildlife, etc. Even so, as a Bachelor, you will find a lot of jobs at the bottom of the pile and not a lot of headroom to move up.

thanks for all the recs guys....checking into all of them with her. also feel free to keep contributing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom