Join me Friday, October 9?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eric gundrum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My regular buddy and I are planning to dive on Friday, October 9. Normally we would dive Lobos, but with the dramatic fee increase I am being encouraged to consider other sites. Anyone want to suggest their favorite site? If we haven't been there, then you will have to introduce us to it. :wink:

We'd most like to dive Monastery (conditions permitting). Often, as we drive by on our way to Lobos we say "Gosh, today looks like a great day to dive Monastery." But, we really want someone experienced with the site to introduce us. Maybe someone here wants to dive there on the 9th and wouldn't mind our tagging along.

We still need to choose another site, if not for our first choice, then as a back up to Monastery. So...

Anyone want to dive with us on Friday, October 9? Where would be your preference?

Where have you dived in the Monterey area outside of Lobos? Most of my Monterey dives have been from commercial boats. I would like to buddy with divers with local shore experience.

Where have you dived in the Monterey area outside of Lobos? Most of my Monterey dives have been from commercial boats. I would like to buddy with divers with local shore experience.

I'm looking for the same.

My shore dives are limited to Lobos, Breakwater and Del Monte. My buddy would add a few others to that list, but he has said they are not worth returning to. I think having someone who knows a site well may get him to try a site again. (Every time he dives breakwater, he dives the same route. I've learned even Breakwater has more interesting to see if I branch out a bit.)

I think we're a bit spoiled by the facilities are Breakwater and Lobos. Even Del Monte has a public bathroom. Sites without any facilities and a long hike from the car to the entry are a bit of a hard sell.

But really, I'd like to hear from people with experience. What are some of the better shore dives? Or, should we just stick with exploring Lobos. (I think there is plenty around Lobos to keep me from getting bored.)

Eric,

I'll be in Monterey that entire week (from Michigan) and hoping to find some buddies. I have no real experience out your way except at the breakwater. Have you dove the Metridium fields, McAbee Beach and Lovers Point ?

Anyway, PM me sometime if you need another buddy.

boat

My shore dives are limited to Lobos, Breakwater and Del Monte. My buddy would add a few others to that list, but he has said they are not worth returning to.

I think we're a bit spoiled by the facilities are Breakwater and Lobos. Even Del Monte has a public bathroom. Sites without any facilities and a long hike from the car to the entry are a bit of a hard sell.

My experience has been similar which is why I have taken the pay to dive route locally. I really want to learn if the shore diving outside of Lobos just sucks or if I just need to find the right spots. I have a book and a few maps.

Have you dove the Metridium fields, McAbee Beach and Lovers Point ?

I've been to the Metridium fields a few times. I actually enjoy the pipe leading out there even more. I haven't yet tried to find the Barge wreck off Breakwater.

I haven't done McAbee or Lovers Point.

I'm not sure that we really need another buddy. :wink: It's more that diving as a group is more fun, provided our skill levels and such are compatible. For now I'm just asking to see who else might be interested or have some fun sites to suggest. I'm hoping that as the day nears a few more people might know their schedule better and chime in.

boat, have you been to Lobos yet? If you are diving from out of town, that is a site worth seeing. I could easily spend a week there.

My experience has been similar which is why I have taken the pay to dive route locally. I really want to learn if the shore diving outside of Lobos just sucks or if I just need to find the right spots. I have a book and a few maps.

I take it you haven't yet found anywhere you really like. Where in MoCal have you been diving?

Not really for a Friday, boat_sju. Weekends for sure.

Wish I can have Fridays off, miss going to Lobos without a reservation and also just found out that Monterey Express goes out on Fridays this October starting at 9am instead of 8am.

Back
Top Bottom