Jones tube and ear clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meesier42

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I talked with the Docs today and they have come up with a method to correct the persistent eye/facial infection that I have had for almost 2 years, due to a scarred over Lacromole Duct.

I had a trauma event about 2.5 years ago that ended up scaring my left lacrimole duct somewhere below the the medial canthus but above the nasal opening. Which collected moisture with no drainage path. The first attempts where to open a bypass without a Jones tube and they performed a marsupialization of the LDA. Well time has passed and the infection continue so they want to install a Jones tube to establish a valid drainage path and hopefully prevent the infection.

So my question, Will I still be able to clear my ears? I know that the valsalva manuever is out, but I was wondering on the efficacy of the Freznel or the Toynbee (my normal method) methods, or other methods.

Hi meesier42,

Placement of a Jones tube due to scarring of a lacrimal tear duct very likely would not only render the Valsalva maneuver ineffective in ear equalization, but also other methods that depend heavily upon pressurization, such as the Freznel, Edmonds and Lowry techniques.

The Toynbee does not require such pressurization and has a good chance of equalizing a nasopharyngeal pressure gradient. Should the Toynbee prove ineffective, the diver with such a prosthesis also could experiment with the Beance Tubaire Volontaire (BTV) and Roydhouse maneuvers.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom