july 4th weekend!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputydan1

Contributor
Reaction score
hey gang!
hope everyone is doing well!

welp, this is it! our first trip to coz!

just wondering, is a 3-day weekend too short for a trip to coz from LA?? is it worth it??

can someone please, please let me know where to stay and which operator to use? this is our first time to coz, and my wife and i really want to get the most out of it.....since it's for only a short period of time...

or, do you guys recommend NOT to go until we can get a week vacation....which may be never!! ahhhhhhhhh!!!

anyhow, thanks a bunch!

-dan

deputydan1:

just wondering, is a 3-day weekend too short for a trip to coz from LA?? is it worth it??
That's a personal decision I guess and depends on how you do it. If you say leave on Friday evening after work and return Monday evening, you'd get to dive all day Saturday and Sunday morning and still have 24 hours. With two days only you might decide a 12 hours SI is enough and get some afternoon/evening dives in Sunday.

I can tell you without a doubt you won't be able to scratch the surface on the great restraunt options and you probably won't have time for my favorite east side bar hopping excursion.

Note that many dive ops go to easier spots the first day with new people until they see how they are in the water.

deputydan1:
can someone please, please let me know where to stay and which operator to use? this is our first time to coz, and my wife and i really want to get the most out of it.....since it's for only a short period of time...
I recomend Caribe Blu and the in-house operator, Blue Angel. It's not the Ritz but it's clean & roomy, all rooms have an ocean view with a balcony and the staff are great. Also the free shore dive option will help with the limited dive time.

deputydan1:
or, do you guys recommend NOT to go until we can get a week vacation....which may be never!! ahhhhhhhhh!!!
If those are the options go. Once you get hooked you'll figure out how to make that week happen and happen again, and again...

I've recently become a Cozumel addict and am going back for my second time this year in 2 months, but to go for a weekend would be torture in my opinion. Do what ever it takes to make it a week. Remember with a weekday holiday like Labor Day, you can turn 4 vacation days into a 9 day, 8 night trip. I'll let everyone else recommend dive op's and hotels. One thing I will say is my 3 favorite restaurants are Casa Dennis, Casa Dennis, and Casa Dennis, with La Choza coming in a close fourth!

divematt:
Do what ever it takes to make it a week.
Yea but if a week is really not an option I'd take a long weekend in Coz over nothing. Another advantage to Coz is that it is a really cheap dive destination, especially from the Gulf Coast. I'd rather spend $200 for airfare to get to Coz for a weekend than spend $500+ to go somewhere else for that short a time period.

deputydan1:
hey gang!
hope everyone is doing well!

Any Coz is better than no Coz, but it will be VERY hard to leave after just 2 days.

I second the rec for Caribe Blu and Blue Angel; say hello to Jeanie for me.

Deputy Dan... has no friends (Firesign Theatre "Dear Friends")

Cheers,

love you guys, man!

can you guys tag along with us?? be our personal guides and get blasted together for one night! =)

yeah, i don't know when or IF i'll ever have a week off...i am in medicine and work many hours....

so! i think a weekend may be my only option~ =(

thank you thank you thank you...

if you can recommend must absolute MUST DOs/SEEs, hotels, operators....i would be much obliged.

thanks again, fellas!

-dan

ggunn:
Any Coz is better than no Coz, but it will be VERY hard to leave after just 2 days.

I second the rec for Caribe Blu and Blue Angel; say hello to Jeanie for me.

Deputy Dan... has no friends (Firesign Theatre "Dear Friends")

Cheers,

deputydan1:
can you guys tag along with us?? be our personal guides and get blasted together for one night! =)
If your paying, I'm there... :)

deputydan1:
if you can recommend must absolute MUST DOs/SEEs, hotels, operators....i would be much obliged.
As I said my must do is to rent a car and drive around to the east side for the bar/salsa tour. No electricity, plumbing, etc but the bars make do with gas stoves/coolers/generators/whatever and it's quiet. Very few cruise shippers make it there. It's a full afternoon though so with your tight schedule....

Other than that and diving nothing is really a must do. The ruins are ok, but compaired to the ones on the mainland you won't have time for they are pathetic. Cute shops in town if you can handle the harrasment (much less than in places like Jamaica). Say away from Punta Langosta. If you want a nice beach you can head south to one of the big parks, but if you like waves at your beach you're back to the east side tour.

Don't do AI, the food in town is too good. Also with limited time I wouldn't stay on the south side either, closer to town would be better. I've already mentioned the hotel/operator that is now my perminant second home :).

If you can only eat at one place, Casa Denis is it. La Choza has the best margaritas and I'd place it 3 or 4 on the list for food. I've always gotten good food recomendations from DM's, hint hint.

Sunday night the locals like to "dress up" and go to the main plaza. Good time to hang out.

James

thanks a bunch, james..

will surely look into all that you said...

also, what do you think about those cheap packages in rodale's/sport diver magazines?? are those good to deal with? albeit, forgetting the AI package..

thanks,

-dan

I've done the package deal thing to Cozumel once that was my firs trip. I've never gone that route again there or anywhere else. To me it's most important to find a good dive op, then a good place to stay. You just don't have options with the packages. Usually they're not that great a deal either.

hey guys,

do you know where i need to fly to from LA? is there a direct flight?

thanks,

-dan

Back
Top Bottom