June 2013 - Back to the Summer Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any one else enjoying early summer in Coz? Looks like I get to start.

We're (me and non-diving friend) going to compare the new Secrets with the Palace back to to back to decide the title of "best all-inclusive" on the island. Still waiting to hear from Jeremy about the diving.

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

Mossman, June 14-22, Secrets/Palace, Living Underwater?

Looks like we will be there at the same time! dtatt & atatt w/3 non diving kids; 6/11-6/22 at the Palace diving with Scuba Mau.

I can't wait to here your comparison of the two hotels.

Looks like we will be there at the same time! dtatt & atatt w/3 non diving kids; 6/11-6/22 at the Palace diving with Scuba Mau.

I can't wait to here your comparison of the two hotels.

We'll definitely have to meet up after I check in. Drinks are on me :)

I went back and forth on this. Originally I wanted to split the time between the Occidental Grand Royal Club and the Palace but was shocked to see the Royal Club asking almost as much as the "special" rate the Palace gave me. There's no comparison IMO. Food is much better at the Palace and the Royal Club is all garden view. No hot tub. "Premium" alcohol only available through the Royal Club restaurant which is a pain if you're no in the vicinity. Who are they kidding?

So I decided to downscale with a decent rate at El Cid on their "elite" all-inclusive plan which guaranteed better booze and food selections than the regular AI. Oceanview room. But TripAdvisor reviews were decidedly mixed. The ocean view is really a cruise ship view. Crowded beach when the cruisers are in town. And something about baby cockroaches.

Then I remembered Secrets just opened. Found a pool view rate for a price halfway between the Palace and El Cid. Then decided, why risk a noisy pool with distracting buxom women in bikinis when I really want to look at the sea. Oceanview Suite is exactly $5 more per night than the Palace Oceanview Jr. Suite. Completely different restaurants, with a French and a seafood, versus Italian and "Asian" at the Palace. I get bored with the Palace restaurants after one night each, so this will work out better IMO. I'm just worried that I might like Secrets better and wish I had stayed there the entire 8 nights. But I loved the Palace and I'm rooting for it. Therefore I'll be highly critical of Secrets, especially noting any area where they fall short of the Palace (no hot tub!) (no liquor dispenser!), but I truly hope they're both wonderful experiences, equal but different.

Using United air miles as a non-elite is getting tougher and tougher. I was trying for saver rate business class and kept getting mixed cabins, mostly with the check-in leg at LAX or ONT in coach which would mean hefty fees for extra bags and my 65 lb camera case. Finally found one that was the opposite, biz class LAX to IAH, then coach IAH to CZM. Works for me. I don't mind 2 hours in coach as long as my heavy bags are already checked through. No overnight in Houston for a change, but we have a 5:15 am flight out of LAX. That sucks. Return flights options were even worse until I found an interesting one: CZM to Montreal to LAX on Air Canada biz class. They allow 70 lb bags with no fee, biz class on both legs and it looks comfortable enough, only downside is 10 hrs in the air versus 5.5 hrs. But if I'm just reclining, eating, watching movies, and drinking free booze all the way, who cares? And hopefully there's poutine in the Montreal airport during our 2-hr layover. Not sure how it will work with immigration, whether we have to clear Canada first then turn around and clear U.S. ICE? Hopefully not. The Canadians don't like me.

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

atatt & dtatt (+ 3 kids), June 11-22, Cozumel Palace, Scuba Mau

Late June (29th) to early July (6th). At Scuba Club Cozumel. 1st Coz trip, looking forward to the adventure.

Late June (29th) to early July (6th). At Scuba Club Cozumel. 1st Coz trip, looking forward to the adventure.
Welcome to Cozumel. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Probably will be the clearest water you've ever dove in.

June 2013 "Back" Roll:

atatt & dtatt (+ 3 kids), June 11-22, Cozumel Palace, Scuba Mau
VicScubaVentures, June 29-July 6, Scuba Club, Scuba Club

Me and the good looking one (wife) are looking at mid June at the Occidental Grand.

Mossman, you buy the drinks we'll buy the appetizers!! :chuckle: June can't get here soon enough, we are already having withdrawals and it's only be 2 months since we were there!

I agree about using miles, it is getting harder to fly using coach miles. I'd strap myself to the wing if that was the only way I could get there, 1st/Bus class is great but at the end of the day I'll take whatever I can get to be there at the best cost if it means I can save for another trip. The cost of flights has jumped quite a bit the last few weeks so I am having a bit of sticker shock. AA is always the least expensive out of Kansas City; it recently went from $529 to $781 (ouch)! Some of the trip is already booked using miles but I haven't booked all of the flights yet. I am kicking myself for not booking that $529 flight!!

Thanks for starting the list, it's never too early to start counting down!

Welcome to Cozumel. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Probably will be the clearest water you've ever dove in.

Maybe .... water has been pretty clear in Bonaire, and Roatan. My camera certainly appreciates clear water!! You think Coz has better vis than most other destinations? Could be interesting.

C.

Maybe .... water has been pretty clear in Bonaire, and Roatan. My camera certainly appreciates clear water!! You think Coz has better vis than most other destinations? Could be interesting.
Cozumel has two features which keep the water super clear: limestone foundation so there is little run off and strong currents. I've only dove Roatan once and I found it rather murky but it could have been the time of the year (New Year's) so I really can't compare. But Cozumel is definitely clearer than Bonaire on any average day. You can find clearer water in the Pacific, but not likely in the Caribbean (unless you're diving a cenote).

Mossman that sounds like a great trip,look forward to reading your review.I will be in Cancun June 19th to the 26th and sticking to whale sharks and cenotes this summer but may make it over to see some friends for 1 day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom