Jupiter Goliath Grouper Dive Trip Report Aug 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Dove with Jupiter Dive Center, well not much to report the current was ripping so we never dropped on the wreck trek.

Overall experience:

I arrived early at 7:30am, analyzed, marked my tanks, and set them out by the dock for the crew to load. 8 am rolled around and the shop opened, went in to sign in. The crew then got the tanks all loaded up, and had no issues positioning me near the end so I can get off and on easier. Nor did they have any issues with me hanging out on the swim step during repositioning pre-drop. I never didn't have the boat in sight when I got to the surface, and never had a wait long for pick up.

Day 1:

Loggerhead/Lighthouse
Scarface
The Tunnels

We attempted to drop at the wrecks twice, but both times the current was ripping. The captain mentioned at Scarface that we drifted a total of a mile and a half. And since the group had all levels of divers, are descents were scattered as well resulting in the group being spread out like paratroopers on D-day. I rarely saw anyone, and all my ascents were solo DSMB ascents. One of which was rather interesting as the line get between my reg hose, in my defense I don't shoot many DSMBs in the caves.

Reef life wise, I was pleasantly surprised. My measure of a healthy reef these days is baby fish, and the reef had plenty. Along with schools of larger fish like grunts and amber jacks. A few of the goliaths but none as large or as numerous as the desired location would have. And of course a smattering of turtles and sharks (mostly little ones).

Day 2:

Loggerhead/Lighthouse
Scarface

Same deal went out of the wrecks and it was ripping so back to the reefs. This time the group did a better job getting down and we stayed mostly together for the first dive. I got separated on the second dive, when I went in the lee of the reef to adjust my weights due to a trim issues. Due to the increasing sea state, and the low likelihood of getting to the wreck trek I decided to stay ashore on day 3, no idea if they decided to go out or not.

Observations:

I feel like drift diving is effectively solo dive, as such I setup for solo diving, and ended up mostly solo diving. Even when I stayed with the group there was never anyone close enough to be useful in an emergency. As such I went in setup to dive solo.

That being said I am finally happy with my pony sidemount setup, I rigged up a simple loop bungee and he kept my AL40 nice and tight to my side. I also used a silicone snorkel keep around the valve to keep the regulator in place.

I was moderately happy with my GoPro setup, the double bolt snaps kept it secured during descents and ascents. Though when I went vertical it liked to flip up. The big disadvantage is that it cluttered up my chest. I thought I lost the double ender for my DSMB when I went to clean it up after the dive. Turned out that it got clipped on my camera, I found it that evening in the hotel.

Finally I would bring 36% next time for all my dives. I normally only stock 32%, but since they only did 45 minute surface intervals, 32% cut my dives a little short on day 2 compared to day 1 where I was diving 36%.

Quick and dirty video edit from the Tunnels

Thanks for the report and video, Tunnels is a cool site and never dissaponts.
What a shame you got blown out and could not dive the wrecks.
I dove with JDC on Wednesday August 19, and we did the wreck trek followed by MG-111. Wreck trek was nice but I was blown away with the conditions on the MG-111. Bunch of GGs and some huge bait balls. The goliaths were barking up a storm. Here are some photos..

(A big "THANK YOU" to @JimBlay for the photo tip of removing red lens from my gopro, then auto correcting with dive+ app)

1597885450837-1164627129.jpg
1597970588294-1059909106.jpg
1598316168234-1410894072.jpg

I've have liked to see some wide angle video of the ledge/reef from that first dive with ripping current, to get a sense of what it might look like to fly along.

Glad you got some good diving in!

I've have liked to see some wide angle video of the ledge/reef from that first dive with ripping current, to get a sense of what it might look like to fly along.

All the dives were ripping currents. This is from the last dive on Scarface.

Here is a video, pretty raw and this version has artifacts that I'm not sure where they are from.

Looks like fun...long as you can see the rest of the group and don't need to go back for anything.

This was day 2 when people were much better about the drops. Day 1, I was mostly alone.

@Manatee Diver - that's pretty cool, those vids. Where exactly are the Tunnels? I can't find them, Area 51 or Loggerhead, or any of the other reefs that the Jupiter dive boats reference. I can find the wrecks, but not the reefs.

Anyone else know how to identify which reef is which from the charts? I'm headed down with my own boat this weekend. I found some steep looking ledges on the charts, but there's no reference to names.

If the current's not ripping, I plan on doing the wreck trek, but my wife wants to stay a little shallower, and the descriptions of Loggerhead and Area 51 sounded perfect.

@Dontezuma Is your wife's name Sarah? If so I think I saw her thread on Facebook. My opinion, even the reefs are pretty advanced dives maybe not in depth but skill required by both the captain and dive leader to make sure you get to the reef and stay on it. As we were dropping on the sand and drifting into the reef.

If you are still interested PM me and I can give you the numbers I have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom