Jupiter Goliath Grouper Dives This Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SSharkk

Contributor
Reaction score
This Saturday August, 25 the Jupiter Dive Center www.jupitrdivecenter.com is offering a unique opportunity for those scuba divers who would like to experience firsthand diving the huge aggregations of giant (goliath) groupers off the southeastern Florida coast. Mike Phelan, a local fish conservationist, and gifted naturalist has created an exclusive, one day Goliath Grouper Awareness Specialty Course.

Come learn about these beautiful, rare creatures while obtaining a PADI Specialty. This specialty is exclusive to Jupiter Dive Center and counts towards the Master Scuba Diver accreditation. Class is in the morning with a 2 tank dive in the afternoon. $179 includes materials, course, lunch, t-shirt, 2 tank charter with tanks & weights, ($10 Nitrox upgrade) and PADI Specialty Card.

I was out diving with “big babies” recently and saw over 90 on three dives. Their numbers should be higher as the aggregations grow in size towards the end of the month. From my personal experience, I believe these can be some most impressive an awe-inspiring dives to be had anywhere, in any ocean.

I would love to do this with my wife!!!! We are getting OW next weekend. How long does this last? This sounds like so much fun!!!

Saw the pictures in the new Alert Diver. Wish I could join you!

I would love to do this with my wife!!!! We are getting OW next weekend. How long does this last? This sounds like so much fun!!!

This is an awesome dive to look forward too but, for you, not yet. These are both deep (90') and usually involve strong currents. You should be AOW and nitrox certified, or have deep and current diving experience before doing these. JDC in particular is strict about the level of certification matching the dive. If I were you, I would contact them about certifying you AOW, and then these would be qualifying dives and you will be accompanied by an instructor (if they decide you are ready for these dives).

.. Mike Phelan, a local fish conservationist, and gifted naturalist has created an exclusive, one day Goliath Grouper Awareness Specialty Course. ..

Mike is the best expert on the Goliath's in Jupiter. He dives year round and even knows the resident Goliaths by sight and their patterns. Also if we get a ton of rain from this storm, the Saturday dive may be one of the last for a while with the spectacular top to bottom viz like we had on the Republic 7 on Sunday. Like others have said, it was one of the best dive's I've done and we were first on the wrecks before any other dives.

Get out and dive Jupiter quick before they leave !!

This is an awesome dive to look forward too but, for you, not yet. These are both deep (90') and usually involve strong currents. You should be AOW and nitrox certified, or have deep and current diving experience before doing these. JDC in particular is strict about the level of certification matching the dive. If I were you, I would contact them about certifying you AOW, and then these would be qualifying dives and you will be accompanied by an instructor (if they decide you are ready for these dives).
I use to work at a dive resort in Jamaica 20 yrs ago...I have been down to over 100 ft, night dives and so on. I agree with you that I need the cert. I'm in the process of getting AOW/Nitrox in the next coming month. Thank you! Wish the original instructor that we hired did not string us along and canceled on us a bunch of times. We (wife and I) could have made this trip :(

I use to work at a dive resort in Jamaica 20 yrs ago...I have been down to over 100 ft, night dives and so on. I agree with you that I need the cert. I'm in the process of getting AOW/Nitrox in the next coming month. Thank you! Wish the original instructor that we hired did not string us along and canceled on us a bunch of times. We (wife and I) could have made this trip :(

Did not realize you had so much experience. I thought you were "newly minted" divers. You probably would not have a problem on a trip like this if you have some experience in strong currents.

Did not realize you had so much experience. I thought you were "newly minted" divers. You probably would not have a problem on a trip like this if you have some experience in strong currents.

It's cool how could you have known....But from what I heard with out the c card they would not let us dive any way.

Wish we could go this is going to be awesome!!! Oh well next time. :depressed: How long does this aggregation last??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom