Just a canon gl2 rant....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

COWSskateGOOD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Yeah... sorry just wanted to vent a moment... I saved up money when I was younger and bought a Canon Gl2 (2500$ at the time w/warantee) I was really into making movies and independent films and aspired to be a director (Pipe dream)... now here I am 5/6 years later having used the camera probably 20 times total, and ZERO within the last 2/3 years....

I started getting excited because of diving and have been researching enclosures (all 1500 range) :( (thats another rant...) and I turn it on to find a REMOVE CASSETTE error.... BLAH

I try for several hours to fix it, and evidently its a very common problem, called Canon and had it shipped off (30 dollar shipping later) Due to insurance, box, bubble wrap all of that.....

I hope I get it back soon and hopefully the repair is not too expensive :(

Anyone have any thoughts on the GL2 as an underwater camera? Search yielded nothing.... or any experience with the error and possible costs/reasons.

It's not HD but it is a 3CCD camera so video quality should be good. I would assume low-light performance would be also - it was with the SD Sony 3CCD's. It is older technology so IDK how much you want to spend to house a camera that isn't up to par with current HD models. Especially since you can get a HD setup for less than you originally paid for just the camera - even get a HD camera/housing combo for about what the housing for your camera itself will cost you.

But since you already have it:

Ocean Images lists one. Ocean Images Underwater Digital Video Camera Housings - Canon - GL-1 - GL-2
Equinox lists one. Pro8 Underwater Video Housing - Equinox Underwater Video Housings by SoupCan Inc.
Ikelite made one but it's been discontinued - I've seen a couple on eBay but not recently.
Gates " " " "

Personally I'd get the Ocean Images as it has electronic controls. Also they're in FL.

For comparison, you can get a HD Canon MF300 at $500 online. Their WP-V2 housing at $400 but it has very limited features. Alternately a new Ikelite housing for it is $800. There's also any number of other Canon and Sony camera/housing combos that will price less than or around the $1400 you'll pay to house yours. And they're all HD.

Divesteve, thanks for the insight... I will be doing that never really looked at it from that perspective.

So I did send the camera to get repaired. I called Canon was told typically since its a known issue it would be about $80 dollars... I figured well what do I have to loose this can be a back up camera.

I sent the camera in and recieved an estimate for $450, I was furious. Keep in mind I read your post and decided if it weren't cost effective I would buy a new camera, and I just spent 30 dollars to ship it off.
I called Canon and asked them why the substantial difference from $80 I was told that was the BASE ESTIMATE that no one had even looked at the camera. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was placed on hold for 30 minutes. I was at work on the phone and could no longer wait, I hung up and figured I would call at home on my own time.

2 hours later I get a call from the Canon Rep appologizing for getting disconnected and that he had pushed the service through to be repaired for free???? I guess stating that I knew it was a known issue and referencing Canon documents let them know I meant business....

All in all, I am still waiting for a call telling me SOMETHING ELSE is wrong and wont be covered for FREE however I am pleased with their service thus far.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom