Just a quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There will be no taste to the air. As mentioned above, it is dry and might be somewhat uncomfortable your first few dives, but you get used to it. Just enjoy yourself.

Also, as stated above...if the air tastes unlike regular air, tell your instructor. But if you manage to get a hold of bad air, then start playing the lotto. I've dived all over the world to include 3rd world countries and have NEVER been given bad air. I don't even know anyone that has ever been given bad air. So basically, don't worry about that. Just enjoy yourself.

There will be no taste to the air. As mentioned above, it is dry and might be somewhat uncomfortable your first few dives, but you get used to it. Just enjoy yourself.

Also, as stated above...if the air tastes unlike regular air, tell your instructor. But if you manage to get a hold of bad air, then start playing the lotto. I've dived all over the world to include 3rd world countries and have NEVER been given bad air. I don't even know anyone that has ever been given bad air. So basically, don't worry about that. Just enjoy yourself.

I basically agree but; Isn't SB & several John Doe's being sued over comments made about a death that was caused by bad air?

Reply to: bogie
No burritos just chocolate :wink: before a dive, Got it. Thanks for the help bogie and evry1 else

Last edited:
Air is approximately 21% Oxygen, 78% Nitrogen and the rest are traces of other gases.

The air from your tank should not have any flavor or odor. You might get some from the equipment (mouth piece, hoses) but I have never had that experience. As mentioned above, recent gastro events might have an effect on what you taste during the dive. But I have not had that problem either.

I basically agree but; Isn't SB & several John Doe's being sued over comments made about a death that was caused by bad air?

There is a lawsuit about bad air? I had no idea about that, but then again I spend most of my time in 3rd world countries with no access to the real world so not knowing about a current event doesn't suprise me.

There is a lawsuit about bad air? I had no idea about that, but then again I spend most of my time in 3rd world countries with no access to the real world so not knowing about a current event doesn't suprise me.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5104384-post1.html

Back on topic, a number of SB'rs do carry gas analyzers... He, O2 and/or CO. CO (carbon monoxide) being the nasty... (however, it's a *very* rare occurrence).

Good luck and dive safe...

Scuba air tastes cold, with the semblance of being wet.

And quite often it is.

The OP asked if there was oxygen added to the air. The answer to that is: it can be, in a diving gas called nitrox, and usually is blended to 32% or 36% oxygen (as opposed to 21% in air). Do a search on this board regarding nitrox to see if it is something you might be interested in. There are courses available from just about all the major scuba educators (PADI, NAUI etc).

You won't be diving with nitrox on a discover scuba dive but if you catch the scuba bug, you may want to learn more about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom