Info Just Announced: THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE M.ZUIKO ED 90MM F3.5 MACRO IS PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I can't wait to see what this lens can do and how it can be used U/W.

This high-performance telemacro lens is optimized for nature photography and features amazing close-up shooting capabilities, in-lens image stabilization, and 4x (35mm equivalent) maximum image magnification.

Learn more and view our updated lens roadmap.

Considering the quality and usefulness of their 30mm and 60mm macros -- which are not even PRO lenses - the 90mm will probably be fabulous...with a price to match, of course.

Considering the quality and usefulness of their 30mm and 60mm macros -- which are not even PRO lenses - the 90mm will probably be fabulous...with a price to match, of course.

I just can't wait. 180mm at 35mm equivalent with IS, most incredible.

I had a Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro back in the Nikon days. It yielded a great 1:1 image at 18" working distance, but wasn't the fastest-focusing lens around (and of course wasn't stabilized). Assuming the OM 90 is consistent with the build quality and attributes of other Olympus Pro lenses, it should be a real asset underwater. Hard to reckon what 2:1 would be like to use, but I bet it'll be fun.

I can't find any information on the minimum focusing distance for the new 90mm lens so far. Very interesting.
That's the critical bit for a diving lens. getting further away is not always great due to particles. But if it does 2:1 at a close distance then that would be great.
I still struggle sometimes with the 60 and on my last trip where the 60 hunted a bit which made me wish I could adjust the focus limiter underwater.

That's the critical bit for a diving lens. getting further away is not always great due to particles. But if it does 2:1 at a close distance then that would be great.
I still struggle sometimes with the 60 and on my last trip where the 60 hunted a bit which made me wish I could adjust the focus limiter underwater.
That's why UW, i set my 60mm limiter to .19 - .40m though that's meant I have to give up anything bigger than my fist. In the other hand, I still need diopter for small critters less than 5mm.

Zuiko PRO lenses are more dust/weather resistant (might make a difference in a housing leak.)

PRO lenses are brighter (maybe important when trying for shallow DOF.)

PRO lenses are $$$$.

How much more image quality with a PRO lens remains to be seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom